Kind of a the chicken or the egg type question

But we had this discussion the other day at dinner after a friend uploaded a picture of her baby.Her baby is very chubby he's six months old and well over 20lbs,also that he doesn't even roll over yet hasn't even tried.

I know it's fairly typical for larger babies not to be as physically active. But which came first is he fat because he doesn't move or does he not move because he is fat?
This is just asking in general not trying to be mean to her or her son and I was also a fat baby ,so fat in fact that my skinny ankles could not support my chubbyness. So really just wondering which one you guys think comes first?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 10:43 PM on May. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• does not move because he is fat
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 10:45 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I think with babies the fat comes first.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:47 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I have to agree that the fat comes first. My first son was born fat and didn't sit up until he was 8 months old. He's 5 now and tall and thin.
    MissyMegan

Answer by MissyMegan at 10:55 PM on May. 24, 2011

• At 6 mo my son was very content to stay in place for a while. He sat up on his own at 9 mo but did not even try to stand on his own until he was 18 mo. MY DS was very skinny, he just took his time. Diet and genes play the biggest roll in a 6 month old, so if mom and dad are big and don't do a lot, baby won't either.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 10:56 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Diet and activity level in his parents may not have that much to due with it in this case. His parents are blind so they walk everywhere and he's still totally breastfed and I don't think she plans on changing that for awhile.
    I haven't met his family so I guess they might be chubby because her's are all sticks.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 11:01 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Fat first.
    MamaMia9999

Answer by MamaMia9999 at 11:12 PM on May. 25, 2011