What do I do about naps?

A bit of background: My son (he's 2.5 yrs) gets up around 9:30am and goes to bed around 9pm. He WAS taking naps around 2pm and lasting til 4 -5ish. He now doesn't want to take naps anymore. That's no problem, I understand the time comes - but every evening he starts acting up and just ends up cranky and doing everything he knows he shouldn't be doing. If I DO get him to nap then he doesn't want to go to bed until 100 or later. What would you do? Would you put him to bed earlier so that he gets up earlier and takes an earlier nap?

sweetevilness23

Asked by sweetevilness23 at 3:48 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my daughter just started doing the same thing....i personally like nap time because thats my time to relax or get things done around the house i cant do when she's awake.she goes to bed around 10:00 and wakes up around 9:00 or so. around 2 i put her in her room and just let her watch a movie sometimes she falls asleep but its still quiet time. not every 2 year old will lay down and watch a movie though. good luck!
    karliesmom0506

Answer by karliesmom0506 at 3:55 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Oh isaiah would watch a movie, but i personally am not a fan of TV's in kids rooms :)
    sweetevilness23

Answer by sweetevilness23 at 3:58 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Have you been trying to get him to bed earlier like maybe even starting at 7pm? I didn't really have this problem with mine cause they hardly ever took naps to begin with so I am just throwing things out there. Will he even just rest at naptime and not fall asleep?
    bb007928

Answer by bb007928 at 4:20 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• My daughter is 2 1/2 and I have her lay down for nap after lunch about 11:45 am then I let her sleep for an hour and wake her up. If she sleeps longer then an hour she will not go to be until really late. IF that doesn't work try doing what bb007928 said.
    andrea86160

Answer by andrea86160 at 6:38 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• My daughter stopped taking naps shortly after 2...she would also get super fussy in the evening, but after awhile she just stopped doing that, after her schedule adapted to not having a nap. If your set on naps, then def try to get him up super early and see if that helps :) Good luck!
    ELC

Answer by ELC at 7:15 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• my son goes to bed around 7:30 in the winter time because it gets darker....he wakes up at 8:30 (exactly) every morning to watch mickey mouse clubhouse (i think he has an internal clock that tells him its on) he use to take naps but has also started to not want to take them...we will lay him in his bed and he will sit in there for hours and cry at the top of his lungs....i stopped putting him down for naps unless he gets so tired that he is falling asleep in the living room. when he does take a nap he goes to bed at like 8:30 or 9 and when he doesnt he goes to bed as soon as he gets fussy.
    proudmama_2boys

Answer by proudmama_2boys at 9:21 PM on Dec. 8, 2008