Why do Formula-fed babies start solids earlier than BF babies?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 PM on May. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• after 6 months bm isn't enough but there are some self righteous ignoramuses who need for themselves to believe that they are special so they make the only source of nutrition something not substantial enough, hence why they have to eat every 2 hours or less. yes this is coming from someone who has taken pre med and will be in medical school in the fall

Wow! They trained you well in "medical school." Baby food is not necessary until after 1 year as BREASTMILK has everything a baby needs UNTIL a year old. Breastfed babies eat "every 2 hours" because it passes through their system better than factory made powder does. BTW, my daughter didn't eat every 2 hours she ate every 3-4 hours like all of my children do :)

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:55 PM on May. 24, 2011

• It is recommended for all babies not to start until at least 6 months old and to offer it only AFTER they have nursed or had a bottle since breastmilk or formula are the ideal nutrition for them until 12 months old.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:54 PM on May. 24, 2011

• They don't. Most doctors will say between 4-6 months... For all babies.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 10:47 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I agree with babybugzmama
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 10:51 PM on May. 24, 2011

• They don't necessarily start sooner. It is just when it is best for mom and baby to start them.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:54 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I'm with BabyBugsmama 4-6 months is whats recommended later then that is technically delayed. Also if you count all forms of cereal a lot of babies with reflux are bottlefed with a thickened mixture or are spoonfed the cereal to help food stay in their stomach and not their lungs,so that could logically be a reason to feed solids earlier then some moms are comfortable with.
    Generally there are a lot of different reasons why women either follow or disregard the standard 4-6 months.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 10:57 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Hahah momofone that was one of the dumbest comments I have ever read. I'd like to know what school you are taking pre-med courses at and what medical school accepted you. I see you answer questions about BF all of the time ... you must feel really guilty for formula feeding.

Anyway, I wasn't aware the formula fed infants in general started solids before breastfed babies.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 11:00 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I'm not sure what whack "medical school" you got into momofone, but.... Solids are not meant for nutrition... It's meant for practice...
    http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/howmuchbabyeat.htm
    Anonymous

• All babies start solids at the same time. I breastfed for awhile in the beginning and was told the exact same as if I formula fed. Teach how to eat off a spoon at 4 months, start cereal and stage one foods at 6 months.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 11:02 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I think its cause the moms obviously arnt as educated in what is good for the babies. Their systems used to inferior food, so why stop?
    Anonymous