Fleas...

What is the best way to keep an indoor/outdoor dog from getting fleas? We bathe her weekly and use a flea treatment but nothing seems to work.

Proverbs_31

Asked by Proverbs_31 at 10:52 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Pets

• Advantage works wonders.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 10:54 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I use a regular flea treatment as well but I also use a lot of flea treatment on my yard. Thats how I we stoped the fleas from coming in.. It will take some time. But you will have to be very dedicated on treatin your lawn with flea treatment especially with this hot weather :o(
    roxsanne1975

Answer by roxsanne1975 at 10:57 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Put white vinegar in their water. 1 tbs-1gal. Also bathe them in a mix of 3tbs white vinegar and 1 cup baby shampoo(the 1 dollar kind). We never have a problem with fleas. we have a long haired large breed chihuahua and a bulldog/terrier. We have also lived in lower Alabama where fleas are terrible.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 11:03 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Flea prevention;  we use Natural supplements - garlic juice in the dog's food - small amount mixed in.... Also, we spray a little garlic juice on the neck and tail ;  I even spray it on MY legs before a hike.

Also, we use a supplement Wafer/ vitamin that help's too keep the fleas away.

SEE here: Tips on Natural Flea Control:

http://bulldogvitamins.blogspot.com/2011/03/fleas-dont-do-frontline-try-garlic.html

If you need to use Frontline - try just 1/2 the tube.... We use 1 tube between 2 dogs of "like" weight.

Also, don't forget to treat your yard .... There are products you can buy that fit on the yard hose,  spray down the yard

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 8:07 AM on May. 25, 2011

• While I have never heard of it until I got on cafe mom and have yet to use it since I'm in a "no pets" apartment but I keep hearing great things about Comfortis. It's a monthly chewable they can take to prevent fleas and other pests and it even comes in another form (can't remember the name of it) that prevents heart worm as well.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 4:03 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I have 5 dogs - I bathe them with Melaleuca Original shampoo (it has melaleuca oil in it) it makes their fur shiny and soft and keeps them flea and tick free. I also put a few drops of Melaleuca oil on the comb before combing them.
    I use to use chemical products like frontline and had 2 dogs develop cancer where the medicine was applied.
    I am so happy that I found a safe and chemical free way to keep my pets flea and tick free.
    Contact me if you would like more information.
    Dew1

Answer by Dew1 at 10:51 PM on May. 25, 2011