If your SO wanted to be a SAHD...

would you go out looking for work or get a degree to have a career and trade places with him if you are an SAHM. Why or why not? Maybe even before you had kids too?

SMITxsM2

Asked by SMITxsM2 at 10:55 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Relationships

• I am not a SAHM. I would say no to him being a SAHD. I can definitely understand the benefit of having a parent stay home for the first 2 years of a Childs life, but after that I disagree with the idea. Here is my reasoning....

1) children benefit from being with thier peers without a parent (but still supervised) it teaches them to be independent not codependent.

2)we can provide a better life/ more money to do so if we both work

3)I am setting an example. I want them to have careers and experience the fulfillment of professional success.

If anyone stays home before age two it should be the one making the breast milk.

1) children benefit from being with thier peers without a parent (but still supervised obviously)

Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 12:26 PM on May. 25, 2011

• My DH wanted to be a SAHD. I said okay and joined the military and he got his wish. All through basic he would send me letters about how hard life was. Bwahahaha!! I love him!
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 10:58 PM on May. 24, 2011

• i would wrok, but dh makes so much more then i would. but i dont think i would want to come home lol..dh isent good at the wifey stuff so to speak. kids might be bathed, dinner would always be mac and cheese with hambuger, clean house no way even if the broom falls on him while he watched tv he wouldnt know how to work it ( guess it has a lot of buttons hahaha ) i cant get the man to flush...let alone take over...hahahaha yeah i wouldnt come home..but would be nice.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 10:59 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Yes, I would. A lot of women get the privilege to be stay at home moms so why can't dads?
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 11:01 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Hell yeah!! He would do a better job at it than me.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:02 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Mine basically is a SAHD but he works from home. I don't always know what they had for dinner, but she is clean and fed and in bed by the time I get home at 10.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:02 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I am a sahm and just finished my bachelors degree. Hubby and I are leaning towards two incomes coming in. I would definitely not switch cuz as pp said he would only half ass do stuff..
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 11:04 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Ours is along story, but I will try to fit it in. We both worked before kids. I had a 4 year degree he had a high school diploma. I became a WAHM after first child was born working about 20-30 hours a week doing what I did before kids. He continued his job and also started a side business of rental properties. We decided he needed to quit his job to focus on the rentals since he wanted to eventually have that as our only income. But 2 weeks later the company I was a WAHM for filed bankruptcy and then 1 week after that I found out I was pregnant. We decided I was ore marketable with the degree and that I would go back to work while he continued to run the rentals and take care of the kids. Worked great for us for 3 years and then I got laid off and we decided I would go back to school and work part time while he continued the rentals and taking care of the kids.
    Anonymous

• My husband wanted to be a SAHD when it was looking like our business would close within a year. I went back to school and got a nursing degree with the idea that I would become the primary breadwinner. The whole time I was in school, my husband was a SAHD and he was awesome at it, better than I was. Meanwhile, I discovered that I am a really good nurse and that I love the work. We're happier with things this way.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 7:03 AM on May. 25, 2011

• My husband is a stay at home dad at the moment. I was a stay at home mom until my daughter was 2 and then my husband became a stay at home dad and I love it. He used to think that all I did was watch TV all day now he has an appreciation for being a stay at home parent and thats it's really hard work. He now tells me he understands why I was so tired during the day.
    Eisleysmommy27

Answer by Eisleysmommy27 at 10:44 AM on May. 25, 2011