Have you ever visited a physical place that wasn't a church or designated "holy" place, where you felt the sacredness?

A place that just screams spirituality? A place where you were so overwhelmed by the beauty or vibe, that you know it was touched by God?

adnilm

Asked by adnilm at 11:08 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes- we have a service (our "church") at the top of a ski run on Sundays during the Winter- Nothing more wonderful than families and ski bums alike enjoying a few moments together to pray and reflect on Gods beautiful creations-no walls, no altar, just beauty!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:42 PM on May. 24, 2011

• In a water cistern on top of Masada when I was 16. There was someone sitting there playing the recorder. It was the most amazing feeling.

And seeing the Grand Canyon for the first time.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:12 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Quite a few. I live in a very very old area. Prior to settlement in the 1700's it was heavily populated by Native Americans. Walking along the river bank you can still find arrow heads and other "Native Items." An entire half of the town next to me was built on top of Burial mounds and the remains of Medicine men have been found just down the road... Once it was settled it became a part of the revolutionary war, then the Underground railroad (many of the houses are still in use today) and then it became a coal town. The history here is long and thick. And with that kind of history comes "sacred energy" in a great many places. A few miles from me is Mingo State Park, walking through there is like taking a step out of reality and in to history, nature and magic all rolled together... I would live there if I could!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:53 PM on May. 24, 2011

• In our willow forest....with the sun coming through the trees....amazing
    Pheen5

Answer by Pheen5 at 7:32 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Sometimes, yes, in various places outside. Or, like someone else said, places with historical significance....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:48 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Yes, I felt like that all the time I would go visit my aunt in Poteet. Her lil house always felt so spiritual :o) I miss you, Tia Casimeda!!!!
    roxsanne1975

Answer by roxsanne1975 at 11:20 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Yes in my favorite nature center in my hometown there is a circle of 8 beech trees ( i think it was 8) anyway I really felt safe and protected there, there was even a bench in the middle. I then found out that they are considered a place of safety and protection by the scottish and irish, which I happen to be both. : ) I was there with my nature study college class.
    AimBre

Answer by AimBre at 11:23 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I definitely get that in the desert. I didn't as much in Arches, as much as I love it there, because there are always soooo many people.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:32 PM on May. 24, 2011

• When I walk past the pond by my house early in the morning when there is a haze over the water and the geese are slowly swimming around with their new babies....it is so quiet and beautiful and spiritual.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:37 PM on May. 24, 2011

• There is a place like this for me in Gatlinburg Tennessee. I have been going there on vacation since I was an infant. For anyone thats been there, there is a secluded road that takes you from Pigeon Forge to Galtinburg. There are several little pull offs where you can get out. One there is a path thru the woods that takes you to a stream lined and riddled with huge rocks and boulders. Its deafly quiet except for the sounds of the water flowing thru the rocks. Your often there alone since it's so secluded and most people probably don't even know it's there. Once when I was 15 my friend came with me on vacay. 2 rowdy, loud teen girls lol. But we got back there and sat on this huge boulder and just got quiet. We sat there not speaking, just watching the water for about 30 min until my mom finally came to see what the heck we were doing. That place just calms me, it has that effect. It's my happy place lol
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 11:52 PM on May. 24, 2011