Is it true?

so i heard that if you breastfeed that it acts like a birth control? im wanting to bf anyway this would just b an extra benifit but i also know that its not impossible to get prego when you do bf i was jw if i should take any extra percautions after the baby is born like condoms or a birth control that you can do while bf?

rachel216

Asked by rachel216 at 11:10 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Pregnancy

• It is very possible to get pregnant while breast feeding. Please use birth control. Many women have thought this was true and found themselves pregnant.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:11 PM on May. 24, 2011

• If you EXCLUSIVELY breastfeed with no bottles and no pacifiers you have a LESS THAN 2% chance of getting pregnant in the first 6 months as long as your period has not returned. After 6 months and if you are not following LAM rules before 6 months or if your AF returns then you can NOT rely on it for birth control.

I chart so I have been able to rely on breastfeeding for birth control for 14 months and 16 months respectively with my 2 children because I KNEW I was not ovulating since I was charting.

That being said you NEVER know when you are going to be in that 2% so breastfeeding should NOT be your sole source of birth control. It should be combined with charting or another form of birth control unless you do not mind the idea of the small possibility of another baby so soon!

miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 11:23 PM on May. 24, 2011

• take all the precautions that you can. You are incredibly fertile after giving birth. If you want your kids close then by all means go ahead and go at it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:12 PM on May. 24, 2011

• It is called lactational amenhorea and it works for MOST women, but only if you are exclusively breastfeeding and a host of other things to. For us we wanted to let nature space our children so we used nothing after #1 except nursing and I got my period around 14 months and was pregnant before the second one arrived.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:13 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Yes, youre still fertile even if you bf.
    roxsanne1975

Answer by roxsanne1975 at 11:14 PM on May. 24, 2011

• The Lactational Amenorrhea Method (LAM) was created to allow women to safely rely on breastfeeding as a family planning method. Based on scientific research, the method uses three measures of a woman's fertility: 1) the return of her menstrual period, 2) her patterns of breastfeeding, and 3) the time postpartum.

Who can use LAM?

A woman can use LAM if:

1. her menstrual period has not returned since delivery (Bleeding or spotting during the first 56 days is not considered menstrual bleeding.) AND
    2. she is breastfeeding her baby on demand, both day and night and not feeding other foods or liquids regularly (Occasional tastes of foods or other liquids are permitted, but they should never replace a feeding at the breast.) AND
    3. her baby is less than six months old.

When all three of these conditions exist, she has less than a two percent chance of becoming pregnant.

miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 11:32 PM on May. 24, 2011

• http://www.breastfeeding.com/reading_room/lam_page2.html

The above is quoted from this website!
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 11:33 PM on May. 24, 2011

• i know your extreamly fertile after having a baby this will be my 2nd..have any of you used an iud with bf? i had that b4 i got prego with this one and loved it for the most part i was trying new birthcontrols when i got prego
    rachel216

Comment by rachel216 (original poster) at 11:25 PM on May. 24, 2011

• If you are having sex. Theres always a chance of getting pregnant
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 8:03 AM on May. 25, 2011

• It's not reliable birth control so I would definitely use back up. I was put on a low dose pill after DD was born. It is considered safe for breastfeeding women. I would assume an IUD would work just as well once the uterus returns to normal size.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:12 AM on May. 25, 2011