Genderless Baby?

Just read this article about parents who refuse to 'label' their 4 month old baby with a gender. It seems a little over the top to me, what do you ladies think?

Link to article

Finkette

Asked by Finkette at 11:14 PM on May. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• This is my opinion....

I think that by not "giving" him s gender, it is going to cause confusion. Sure, let your child be who they want to be, but that doenst have to mean not saying he is a boy. My son plays with trains, cars, army men, baby dolls and kitchen. My daughter loves shoes, and bows, but also loves to play with trucks. I think they are trying to force things on their children which is what they are "preaching" against.... You can not tell me their son jazz asked for his hair to be put in braids, and wanted bangs....
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 2:19 PM on May. 25, 2011

• While I didn't refuse to give my child a gender I made sure they were not forced into gender roles and at 4 and 6 years old they are both well adjusted and while they do have tendencies towards their actual gender they also do a lot that is of the opposite gender and I see no problem with it. What these parents is doing is a little odd to me I also see their reasoning.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:24 PM on May. 24, 2011

• my big thing is that is alot of pressure on the brothers to keep the secret . I am sure their friends will be asking them
    shanesmom24

Answer by shanesmom24 at 11:29 PM on May. 24, 2011

• its not sterotyping to tell a boy he is a boy, because he is a boy.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 11:42 PM on May. 24, 2011

• its about stereo typing we throw so many at our kids that its not funny " you cant wear that its for girls" "you cant play with that its for boys" etc. our kids cant be who they want to be because we try to make them perfect boyish boys and girlie girls.
    colins_mom

Answer by colins_mom at 11:26 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I did read the article and I don't agree with their reasoning.. I do agree with the way Finkette handled it... sounds like her children will have a great childhood.. while this poor child will be asked and perhaps even picked on for the truth...Then he will wonder why his Parents did this to him.... Seems like to me that this couple in the article is drawing more attention to their baby's gender and want the spot light or something. Or course by sending Friends and family a Email saying the don't get to know something is gonna make them want to know even more.. As my Girls would say.. They are Drama Queens.. LOL

angduse1

Answer by angduse1 at 8:18 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Baby x is a social experiment to see how having how no gender role affects developmentally so i am waiting to see how it plays out.
    LadyMitres

Answer by LadyMitres at 11:34 PM on May. 24, 2011

• It's fine they don't want to tell people the gender of the baby,but I was a little thrown off by them allowing there 5 yo to wear a pink dress...nothing against it when they are older and know what that decision may lead too...cruelty...but at 5 they cant comprehend that..playing with dolls okay..playing house..okay...wearing a dress when your a boy...not so much...but it's their kids and they are allowed to raise them how thy see fit as long as there is no abuse or neglect then it's their choice.

happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 11:36 PM on May. 24, 2011

• And my favorite theory about it is that baby x is a true hermaphrodite so basically they're leaving it up to the baby to decide what it wants to be when it grows up but who knows.
    LadyMitres

Answer by LadyMitres at 11:37 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Roxsanne1975.....Did you read the article? That's not what it's about... it's about raising a child and not telling the child or anyone what his/her gender is...
    Finkette

Comment by Finkette (original poster) at 11:22 PM on May. 24, 2011