Can't sleep without him next to me?

my SO is a service plumber and he is on-call every other week. He has been slow the last few months so has not gotten any calls...until now he just got 1...now I can't sleep...I don't know how long he is going to be,but I'm used to him being next to me...i know this is something I'm going to have to get used to because when business picks up he may not get home till 11-12 and even then still get called out...yeah who knew plumbers could be soo busy..I didn't. Anyone know any ideas to help me sleep other then bringing a kid into the bed with me? which my DS would love..lol

happymama02

Asked by happymama02 at 11:26 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Relationships

• I usually put a large body pillow next to me, when hes gone to work. I really dont like it, but it will do....
    roxsanne1975

Answer by roxsanne1975 at 11:33 PM on May. 24, 2011

• My husband works nights...its a difficult schedule. I hardly really sleep. Usually I have a little game thingy that plays Solitaire...I lay in bed and play that till I'm sleepy enough, and then I just fall asleep.
    monstersmommy20

Answer by monstersmommy20 at 11:34 PM on May. 24, 2011

• That's too bad.
    WHen we were an Air Force family, my DH was gone for weeks at a time, twice for a whole year. I got used to sleeping alone. I read books at night in bed to sleep. It was relaxing and put me to sleep. Make sure you don't go to bed too late --it seems that it gets harder to fall asleep if you stay up past midnight. Just a few hints. Good luck!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:34 PM on May. 24, 2011

• I hate when my DS isn't home, I can't sleep either. He's actually taking my sister home right now, so I'm on Cafemom till he gets home because I know if I go lay down I'm just going to get irritated because I can't sleep... The only think that has occasionally worked for me is letting my dogs jump in bed with me till he gets home. I have two tiny dogs so they don't take up alot of room.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 11:36 PM on May. 24, 2011

• When we first started dating I had a hard time going to sleep with out him. Now more than 8 years later there are many many nights that I just lay down alone and go to sleep. He is in the house just like he was years ago, but I have gotten so used to it. I can't get to sleep if he is laying down with me, but I stay asleep after he comes to bed.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:40 PM on May. 24, 2011

• minnesotanice...kudos too you...i tell SO all the time I could never be a military wife...I know i couldn't handle that if I can't handle him not being here a few hrs. at night...your a stonger woman then most!!
    happymama02

Comment by happymama02 (original poster) at 11:41 PM on May. 24, 2011

• My husband is a police officer who works evening shift and he usually doesn't get home on nights he works until 1:30 or later. I used to stay up, but with the kids in school now that doesn't work. I need more than five hours base a night!

I would put the tv on low to be background noise; I liked Law & Order. Then I started distraction sleep techniques - I counted backwards from 100, and when that didn't work I started going through the alphabet trying to mentally name 5 animals for each letter. Then I turned on a fan. Then I got a body pillow to sleep against. I now do kind of a combination of all of them.

You do get used to it.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 11:55 PM on May. 24, 2011

• My DH is in the ARMY so I have lots of loney nights, 15 months worth of lonely nights LOL. I use one of those long pillows to cuddle next to and keep one of his t-shirts with my DH scent next to me.
    socialworker227

Answer by socialworker227 at 12:31 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Thanks Happymama02 ....
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:44 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Get a body pillow. Keep it across the top of the bed when he is there and cuddle with it when he is gone. My plumber gets called out alot too. It helps more if the pillow smells like him.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 11:57 AM on May. 25, 2011