Has anyone ever...

hear of a baby period? A friend who just recently had a baby said the Dr told her that her newborn could have a baby period and if she changed her diper it was normal? Has this ever happened to anyone or anyone you know? Just curious.... It would scare the heck out of me. I'm pregnant with a little girl and it just makes me think.

MommyMJean

Asked by MommyMJean at 11:55 PM on May. 24, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes I have heard of it, its more common than you think for a baby girl to be born with a period.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 11:57 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Yes... that's true. Some newborn girls can have vaginal spotting because they had build up the lining of their uterus in response to the mother's estrogen and progesterone.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:05 AM on May. 25, 2011

• WOW NO! I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THAT....IT DOES SOUND FREAKY
    maryannchavez86

Answer by maryannchavez86 at 11:56 PM on May. 24, 2011

• Ive NEVER heard of that before, that would freak me out too....
    roxsanne1975

Answer by roxsanne1975 at 11:57 PM on May. 24, 2011

• When DD was born the doc asked me if I had seen any blood. I wasn't sure. But she said it was completely normal and a sign that her ovaries were working.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:01 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Never heard of it, but I'm not totally surprised. I know newborns can have hormones from their moms in them, and they can have slightly enlarged breasts because of it. So I guess maybe that would be the reason for the period?
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:07 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Oh God no, wow that's crazy.
    SMITxsM2

Answer by SMITxsM2 at 12:02 AM on May. 25, 2011

• also it just happens the once in most cases,a one time period its not like they are born with a period that will happen monthly from birth.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 12:02 AM on May. 25, 2011

• What crafty said...its your hormones, similar to the "baby acne".
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:35 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Crafty is right. It's not anything bad, and it's not even a heavy flow. I think my daughter had some spotting for only a few days. She hasn't had anything since, it's nothing to worry about.
    mrsziemann

Answer by mrsziemann at 12:57 AM on May. 25, 2011