Anyone got any suggestion on natural labor?

I am due in October I really want to give a natural birth without an epidural. I hope I can do it. i have had a few surgery so I am pretty tolerable with pain, but I know there is nothing like giving birth. Is there anything that would make it easier persay?

MommyMJean

Asked by MommyMJean at 12:08 AM on May. 25, 2011 in Pregnancy

• 1) Don't listen to the myths. Anyone can birth naturally, and it is not necessarily the worst pain in the world. Athletes endure pain all the time to reach their goals, and it's all worth it.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:11 AM on May. 25, 2011

• 2) Go get some good books about natural labor. Getting through it isn't so much about if you have enough endurance as it is about believing in it and believing in your body. Get "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" and "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth" for starters.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:12 AM on May. 25, 2011

• 3) Get a Doula who believes in natural birth. She'll be with you the whole time, giving you encouragement, remind you you can do it. There are scientific studies that show the benefits of having a Doula, and the higher natural birth rate with Doula's.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:13 AM on May. 25, 2011

• 4) If you can, get a midwife who believes in natural birth. More and more hospitals are providing them, but better yet, if you can get into a birth center, that'd be great! Personally, I'm a believer in homebirth if you are serious about going natural. Look into it, but I know it's not for everyone. If none of these things are an option, at the very least, find out what your OB thinks about natural birth. That's going to make a big difference for you. And don't just let them give you the answers they think you want to hear, actually find out how often your OB does natural birth, and if it's not often, FIND SOMEONE ELSE!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:15 AM on May. 25, 2011

• 5) Join the group "Natural Pregnancy and Childbirth" for a GREAT support system.

I did it natural. I was in labor 48 hours, and I do NOT have a high pain threshold. It wasn't easy, but never once would I have traded what I was experiencing for the numbing, disconnecting affect of drugs. Not because I'm so tough, but because I wanted what was BEST for my baby. Most women who say, "I think I can do it," don't end up doing it, not because they can't but because they don't believe in it enough. Know something crazy? It hurt, but I can't wait to do it again! Like a climber might want to crest Everest again. It's SO worth it! And I know you can do it!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:18 AM on May. 25, 2011

• LOTS of things can help!!

Know that where you chose to birth and who attends your care-delivery are very relevant!
    So is your confidence in the process.

Choosing to birth where interventions and meds are normal is an unnecessary hurdle.
    You can adjust your chances for success when you birth outside the medical-model with Normal Birth Specialists.

What are you doing to prepare?

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:08 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Believe in yourself and try as hard as you can, they always have meds if you change your mind :)
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 7:44 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Just know that you can accomplish it. I did with both of my kids. The most intense part (for me at least) is transition. At that time just try to remember you will have your baby in your arms in no time. Feel free to message me if you want to talk some more. =)
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 9:52 PM on May. 25, 2011