Should that jack ass that predicted the end of the world on Saturday be arrested?

Some lady was telling me about a case where a mother who believed the end was coming on Saturday killed her kids. Apparently she was so terrified that she felt it was better to kill them quickly than it would be to make them suffer because of the Apocalypse.

Now, I was telling my husband the story and he said the guy who started it all is the one who was responsible, and should be charged... And honestly, I kinda agree.

To me this guy is no different than Jim Jones or some other cult leader who lead their "flock" with lies and propaganda... Sure, he didn't tell this woman to kill her kids, but because of the beliefs he preached she felt what she was doing was being merciful. Now, because he was wrong (DUH) she and many like her are dealing with the horrors of the life they still have...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:11 AM on May. 25, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes he should be arrested.  The problem is that he hasn't done anything illegal.  He is smart enough to latch onto the ONLY legal scam.   It's just a bit more blood in the long history of Christian bloodshed!

The real shame lies on the shoulders of those who believed him.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:37 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Jim Jones took physical part in putting the poison into a punch bowl and told his followers to kill themselves, this idiot didn't say anything of the sort, at least not that I know of.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:27 AM on May. 25, 2011

• He did nothing illegal(sp). Granted the guys a moron, and a rich one. But unfortuneately you can't imprison someone because there are people stupid enough to follow him. And the woman that killed her kids, she would have done it anyways. She was obviously very mentally unstable. It would be sooo nice if stupid people could get arrested though :)
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:16 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Not his fault she was already mentally unstable enough to believe what he was spewing. I agree that it would have happened regardless. This makes a convenient scapegoat.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:17 AM on May. 25, 2011

• jim jones KILLED ppl...camping did not
    brookenbrodyn

Answer by brookenbrodyn at 12:26 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I don't see that he did anything criminal in regards to the murders, either. He did not tell people to go kill their kids.

But... I hope he's still investigated for fraud and loses big time in the civil courts. America is sue-happy, so I'm sure there will be more than a few.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 7:15 AM on May. 25, 2011

• besides... its not the first time he's "predicted" the end of the world...

brookenbrodyn

Answer by brookenbrodyn at 12:24 AM on May. 25, 2011

• People like Camping are dangerous as they profit from peoples' gullibility , especially the weak -minded and those who are otherwise susceptible to religious fraud like some of the elderly . I do think he should be charged with obtaining money under false pretences and his charitable status should be removed

But Is it actually proven that peoples' lives have been ruined and have there have been deaths because of his false preaching about the end of the world ?

I see on yahoo news that he has moved his rapture date forward by 5 months . I cannot make up my mind whether he is just an idiot or a racketeer.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 1:40 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I dont know. I mean on one hand that is SO tragic but on the other hand there are SO many of us who did NOT believe him. It was HER choice to believe him and HER choice to kill them.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Anyone who believed him really has to take responsibility for being so gullible.
    That's the problem wiht blind faith, and should be a HUGE lesson in that sense.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:17 AM on May. 25, 2011