My son is 5 almost 6 and has been diagnosed with ADHD. I knew he had this disability, I just needed it on paper. Anyhow, my question is, Has anyone had a 504 plan put in place with your childs school? And if yes, Can you give me an example of some of the accomodations you asked for? Not the typical, but the more unique. I have an IEP meeting tomorrow and I want to be very well prepared in what I ask for on this plan.

My son is in Kindergarten and his teacher has never had an ADHD student, nor has she had any special training. So, were all learning together. And let me tell you it is very frustrating.

XANDERSMOM2005

Asked by XANDERSMOM2005 at 12:29 AM on May. 25, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• XANDERSMOM2005..RELAX! I am only asking for simple opinions. I have both as well sweetheart. Anyone can make and lose friends. dont be so hard on yourself. You dont need to throw defintions at me. I can tell your son's 'disabilty' bothers you but please do not take it out on me. Please act like an adult. Everyone else has answered calmly and politely, why can't you? I was merely asking a question. It doesnt make me ignorant if I ask a question.
    chrissy8712

Answer by chrissy8712 at 1:09 AM on May. 25, 2011

• My SD has ADHD... The school just started the 504 Plan process...The school is going to give her extra time on testing, along with going to a different room for testing. She is also going to another classroom for the subject with which she struggles most (math) for about 30 minutes a day. In addition to this, the school and her doctors recommended seeing a nutritionist, behavior modification therapist, and a counselor.

Look up ADDitude magazine... I believe they have some lists on their website. You can also look up 504 PLAN ACCOMODATIONS online. Also, I do suggest getting the book THE ADHD BOOK OF LISTS--It's been VERY informative to us, and it's VERY easy to understand and well organized. Everything is in lists and it covers everything!!!!
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 1:12 AM on May. 25, 2011

• My sons teacher is going to give him movement breaks and is going to let him have some self time.
    sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 1:58 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I think that putting the 504 plan in place is the best thing. If you have recommendations form the doctor then I would bring those with you and I would make sure the school works with you. I know my DD has a 504 plan and the school does not really follow it they way they should. It can be very frustrating and in the end we hired an advocate to help us because I did not know all the laws about 504's and I felt that my DD was not getting what she needed. I think you really have to stay on top of things and don't let the school push you around just because they don't understand.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:18 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I have a 504 plan in place for one of my 11 year old twin daughters due to ADHD as well. It was brought to my attention that she would get very anxious during testing that had a time limit and would either not finish or do poor quality work. She is an almost straight A student and I hated the thought of her being upset by testing and asked what could be done to help. Due to her ADHD diagnosis (and I had to provide proof) she was eligible to get the following accommodations. She was to receive double time to complete all testing and any quizzes that take longer than 20 minutes. She is to receive a five minute break every forty minutes to stretch or walk around. She is also to be allowed to test in a room with no more than 9 other children to minimize distractions and is to receive a visual cue to get back to work if she is not focusing on the test. I thought this was a perfect solution and it has helped so much. Good Luck

Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 11:02 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Preferred seating - not necessarily in the front - away from distractions. With an IEP, you will need to keep meeting and revising as issues come up. Make sure that they work with him on social skills. Having a buddy who looks out for your son can help to prevent bullying and help with social skills

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 11:03 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Thank you all for your feedback. I certainly appreciait all was very helpful. I have done a lot of research and have found a lot of valuable information on the ADDitude magazine website. With such a diagnosis though research and advice are never to much. Thank you all again.
    XANDERSMOM2005

Comment by XANDERSMOM2005 (original poster) at 2:07 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Just talk with them.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:06 AM on Jun. 10, 2011