Childhood obesity

I was watching a talk show today that was on the childhood obesity problem in the US. While I do agree it is becoming a major problem in some cases I do not think it should be labeled child abuse and then have the potiental of the court system taking your child away from you. Granted the courts do take a number of accounts and situations into consideration before hand, I still see another problem of the government taking over in the citizens lives and interfering in places they shouldn't. Our lives and the way we live them. Instead of the courts taking over and taking the kid away, which I think would only compound the problem, give them a chance and give them nutritional classes and access to a gym that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Show the kids exercise can be fun. Some schools need to make P.E. a requirment, not an option like it is here. Maybe teach parents the healthy way of living and eating and it doesn't need to be expensive which seems to be the popular excuse to not eat right. What are your thoughts and opinions on this??

PS.....Do not bash me!! These are my opinion on these matters, my right to freedom of speech. If u do not have anything worthwhile to post or any thought provoking opinions, please refrain from posting. Thank u

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:32 AM on May. 25, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Do you have a LINK that tells that anyone could have their kidsd taken away ? Would an obese child mean that the parent is abusive? I doubt that very much.
    YES there is an epidemic of obesity in America. Kids eat crappy sugary fatty food and too much food. Its true. But I really doubt they call it abuse,etc.
    LINK?????
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:41 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I can't get a link right now, but it was oin the Dr.Oz show. Go to DoctorOz.com and u will see a clip about Tuesdays (technically yesterday 5/24/11) but there is also dicussions on this subject. There are people out there, other doctors and such think child obesity should be considered abuse and the possibality of the kids being taken away by the system and consider it "in their best interests".
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 1:29 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I agree , it is hardly abuse but it it is an intractable problem as so many parents are equally wedded to fast food and obese themselves. Meanwhile , the fast food purveyors spend many millions on marketing their products , particularly aiming at young people . Health education on a wider and more dramatic scale on the dangers of obesity seems to be the only solution together with health warnings on fast food products such as there are with tobacco products .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 1:47 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I think if the damn government wants "control eating habits" they could put restrictions on the food asst program. There have been times when I see a mom that has nothing but junk food and box goods and frozen dinners. This way can also benefit the people cause maybe then, the government might see its not exactly real cheap to eat healthy by eating lots of fresh veggies, fruits, lean meats. It also doesn't have to considered a 'diet', one can use portion control, eating at the right times of day. Get out and walk like a family have fun competitions and instead of rewarding with food reward with something else thats works with the family ect....
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 2:04 AM on May. 25, 2011

• You say towards the end that parents should be taught the healthy way of living and eating. Parents shouldn't need to be taught this, they should already know it. There are far too many parents out there trying to pass the buck but THEY have responsibility for their children's health. I've recently moved to the US from the UK, a country which also has a child obesity problem. My DH was is a clinical psychologist, and when we were still living in the UK, he worked for the National Health Service. His area of specialism was nutritional issues such as eating disorders etc. He would work with parents who would sit there and whine, "but you try saying no to a child who is begging you for a chocolate bar." They would blame supermarkets and the companies themselves for making their child fat. DH was always quick to say, "no YOU have made your child fat, by not saying no." It might sound harsh, but parents ARE at fault.
    wonderwoman1224

Answer by wonderwoman1224 at 6:51 AM on May. 25, 2011

• It's hard to make good choices with food. We are bombarded with ads for fast food, sweet treats, etc. These are meant to boost sales of theses foods which are in the best interest of the companies selling these products but not in the best interest of making healthy choices as to what we eat. I've spoken to adults who think that fruit snacks are healthy. (They are really candy that's made with fruit juice.)  People really don't know what they're eating.

If there were more disclaimers on labels or graphics showing where a food item fits in with the food guide pyramid, I think that making better/healthier choices would be easier.  Also, it hard to change your food habits.  Even with 'food rehab'  (which is nutrition education) it's easy to fall back into old habits.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 10:08 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I find it pathetic and poor parenting when parents feed their kids so poorly they are obese. I am being judgemental because I am pissed my sons generation is expected to have a shorter life span than my own generation. A parents job is to care for their child and that includes feeding them. Kids deserve the best start possible and so many out there are failing and don't seem to care.
    chaiteamomma

Answer by chaiteamomma at 10:10 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Blaming fast food is ridiculous parents don't have to go there if they are that weak they cave to their kids all the time they have bigger issues. My son doesn't spend much time watching TV and even if he did and he begged to go to McDonalds I would simply tell him no. Not that hard to do.
    chaiteamomma

Answer by chaiteamomma at 10:12 AM on May. 25, 2011

• In my opinion, the parents shoulder the entire responsibility for an obese child. What goes into your child's mouth is determined by YOU, how much your child eats is determined by YOU and the quality of food offered is determined by YOU. Who cares if they advertise junk food 24/7 on the tv? Say NO! If your child came to you and begged to let him juggle knives would you just let him? Probably not, so use the same principle here. When they beg for junk, say no! And food is only half of the obesity problem - what about living an active lifestyle? Get your kid away from the tv and outside to play. Make them use their imagination instead of playing stupid video games nonstop. Play tag, kick a ball, run around for no good reason - all these things will help with obesity problems.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 12:49 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Everyone makes excellent points on how to beat this problem we have with our kids. And you all are right it does begin at home and with the parents. But there are times that the kid will sneak food, then there is another problemn that needs to be addressed. But the school also have to step up and get rid of the pop and snack machines too. But do u think parents shouold be charged or blamed for "abusing" their children? Or the possibility of the courts taking their kids away cause the parents are not feeding their kids healthy choices?
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 4:43 PM on May. 25, 2011