Does anyone else think that is is bullshit how people think ADD or ADHD is a disability? Everyone has the 'disability'. Even if your mind strays just a little, apparently you're disabled. Just would like to hear peoples' take on the subject.

chrissy8712

Asked by chrissy8712 at 12:35 AM on May. 25, 2011 in Health

• SSI tends to think it's a disability, and I have to agree with them. It can have major impacts on your life, like any other DISABILITY can.

Having lived with a cousin who has medically treated for her ADHD and still seeing the struggles she went through every day, I have to say that with my experience alone, it was definitely a disability. It greatly impacted and changed her every day life, from how long it took her to get ready in the morning to her behavior in class AND at home to her grades.

But that's my opinion.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 12:38 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I think ADD and ADHD might be over-diagnosed, so that normal healthy active kids with lots of energy are labeled thus, but I don't think it's complete BS that some kids are disadvantaged by a real disability. I have a son who is severely dyslexic and it's no fun for him having a real disability that is so poorly understood.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 12:38 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I do not think my ADD is a disorder...how ever I do have a mood disorder
    brookenbrodyn

Answer by brookenbrodyn at 12:41 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Wow, I never thought that it could be worse than just not paying attention. I hope I don't sound shallow about it. If I do, I do not mean to be. I just never thought it could be that serious where it affects how you would get ready in the morning. My boyfriend is dyslexic and everytime he reads something he turns the sentence around. Also he'll be looking at a word to say but he will say a completely different word. I do do that sometimes. Would that be a little case of dyslexia? Thank you both for your opinions.
    chrissy8712

Comment by chrissy8712 (original poster) at 12:44 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I have it and my daughter has it. It affects her at school, her grades, her ability to study. It affects me at work when I'm in meetings, having to focus on conversations or work, it kicked my ass in school. It is NOT bullshit. I do think there are some benefits like I can multitask like crazy! But I would much rather not have it because it's hard.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 12:49 AM on May. 25, 2011

• My son suffers from this horrible disability. Thats exactly what it is....do the research.
    dis·a·bil·i·ty/ˌdisəˈbilitē/Noun
    1. A physical or mental condition that limits a person's movements, senses, or activities.
    2. A disadvantage or handicap, esp. one imposed or recognized by the law.
    XANDERSMOM2005

Answer by XANDERSMOM2005 at 12:57 AM on May. 25, 2011

• My bf"s son has ADHD, and he is not disabled by any means. I think that eventhough his mind wanders, and he is hyper, he has the ability to make choices for himself.
    sarahlu

Answer by sarahlu at 12:57 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I wouldn't take my child to get SSI for it or anything, but he does have ADHD. It's crazy the way he acts in the morning before the meds. The meds kick in when he gets to school but by the end of the school day they have worn off and he is off the charts hyper. At least he is getting all A's now, but at home...WOW!
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 12:58 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Its ashame that your ignorance couldnt be a disability.

ig·no·rance/ˈignərəns/
    Noun: Lack of knowledge or information:

That just really pisses me off. Bullshit. Please. I would rather my son not have it that way I know what kind of morning/day Im going to have and also for him to know that hes going to have a good day. That the schedules can change at home or school and he wont react to it. That he can make and keep friends........
    XANDERSMOM2005

Answer by XANDERSMOM2005 at 1:01 AM on May. 25, 2011

• XANDERSMOM2005..RELAX! I am only asking for simple opinions. I have both as well sweetheart. Anyone can make and lose friends. dont be so hard on yourself. You dont need to throw defintions at me. I can tell your son's 'disabilty' bothers you but please do not take it out on me. Please act like an adult. I was merely asking a question. It doesnt make me ignorant if I ask a question.
    chrissy8712

Comment by chrissy8712 (original poster) at 1:06 AM on May. 25, 2011