Oh, Deployment! I hate you!

ladies... if you have dealt with a deployment before please, please, i repeat please. give me any advice possible my husband has only been gone for a few days and this is the HARDEST thing ever! im trying to do as much as possible to keep it off my mind. BUT everything reminds me of him. i MISS him.. :/ if by any chance you or your husbands been to the helmand prov. area. i want to know how it is around there.... this is really hard! on me.

Armywifelovely

Asked by Armywifelovely at 2:07 AM on May. 25, 2011 in Relationships

• I have been through 2 deployments, and right now DH is in Georgia for schooling. i think this schooling is worse. At least when he was deployed I talked to him almost daily, it has been 2 weeks since I have gotten an email, and 5 weeks since I have heard his voice.

It get's easier with time, trust me. Stay busy. Surround yourself with good people who are going through the same thing as you, because there is nothing worse than that civilian friend who complains about her husband having to work ONE NIGHT, or getting up early. I had a friend during Dh's first deployment who's husband worked at the mines and worked 7 days at night, 7 days , 4 days off, and she constantly complained to me about how hard it was going to sleep without him, even though he was in her bed when she woke up. I finally had to tell her to whine to someone else. (nicely told her to whine to someone else ;) )
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 2:14 AM on May. 25, 2011

• My son was deployed twice to Iraq and it just about killed me, so I can only imagine how you're feeling as his wife. I'm sorry he's deployed and all I can say is keep yourself very busy and try to stay positive, hard I know. Send him a pkg. here and there, magazines, beef jerkey, pictures from home, calling cards, just some ideas. God Bless you both!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 2:18 AM on May. 25, 2011

• My husband is in the military also, what doesn't kill you , will only make you stronger, and your relationship.
    One piece of advice- be faithful. I've seen so many women fuck up their relationships because they are lonely and etc.. they cheat.
    Getting a hobby might help, buy a sewing machine, make some curtains, bedazzle some clothes, design and make jewelry... Get a bunch of puzzles and a box of wine.. You WILL be ok, just don't let yourself go crazy.. pamper yourself too, book a photoshoot with a local photographer that will do your hair and make up and do pin up pictures for him, and send them to him..
    danichaos

Answer by danichaos at 3:18 AM on May. 25, 2011

• so sorry..I understand that this is hard, I watched my sister go through it twice. I think the key for her the first time, she did have any kids then, was to spend as much time with friends and family as she could. She worked a lot and talk to her DH as much as she could. The second time she had a 2 year old and I think that was harder because her son asked a lot of questions. Again she spent lots of time with her friends and family. I think you will always think about your husband and miss him..I am not sure the best way to deal with it because everyone deals with it differently.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:14 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I try to stay busy. Hang out with friends, go to zoos, malls, parks, etc. Maybe go and visit family for a while. Normally, I stay so that the kids can have some kind of normalcy, but this time, that's what I decided to do. Take some time for yourself, if you can. You can get through it. But, like a PP said, don't let yourself cheat. It does get lonely, especially at night, but don't let yourself go there. So that my bed doesn't feel so big when he's gone, I have a body pillow and a teddy bear that I sleep with.
    kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 1:53 PM on May. 25, 2011