Getting baby to sleep in bassinet?

My son is seven weeks old. He is exclusively breastfed, and we cosleep. I would really like to get him sleeping in the bassinet, because our bed is small (full) and my husband is currently sleeping on the couch :( This just isn't working. How can I get my son to sleep in his bassinet, so that my husband and I can have our bed back? I can get him to sleep easily, but once he hits the bassinet he awakens and fusses. HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 AM on May. 25, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If there is nothing wrong with him and he doesn't need anything, let him cry it out. He will put himself to sleep at some point and It's better for him in the long run so he isn't sleep dependent in the future.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 2:38 AM on May. 25, 2011

• he just needs to get use to not sleeping with you so it will take a lil crying and what not be he will be fine
    anayasmommy21

Answer by anayasmommy21 at 2:39 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Try this. My son loves it. Since its not a flat on their back sleeper its more comfy for him. Portable so can go anywhere in the house.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 4:51 AM on May. 25, 2011

• He just needs to unlearn what he has been taught and that is sleeping with you, so I would just put him in there and let him cry it out he will soon get used to it when he realizes your not coming to get him out.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 6:48 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Keep putting him in there. I'm not a fan of crying it out, especially at this age, but I don't think there is anything wrong with letting them fuss for a few minutes, rubbing his back so he knows you're there, then leaving for another minute or two. A music box of some sort always helped my kids sleep by themselves - my 2 yo had a My Pal Scout that plays 10 mins of lullabies, and my 10 month old has a glow seaworm that she still uses at night that plays a few minutes of lullabies. My oldest 4 also had a "hearbeat" bear that was sound/motion activated (so it would start back up when they started to fidget in the night and lull them back to sleep) that mimicked the sounds they hear in the womb. Also, try putting a small blanket (a washcloth would work too) up against your skin during the day, then tucking it in bed with him at night so he has your scent. Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 8:33 AM on May. 25, 2011

• bring the bassinet into your bedroom(if there is room) place it on your side of the bed so that he is close but not in your bed exactly; also place a nightgown or other piece of clothing underneath him or a ticking clock wrapped in a towel or clothing and place it beside him I am not one that is big on the CIO method but you have to experiment and see what works for you. Good Luck
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:30 AM on May. 25, 2011

• i would put the bassient next to your bed, and maybe even a womb bear or a sound machine, thats what worked for me because i did have my son sleep on my chest at first because he was sick but then slowly i put him in the pack and play right next to my bed in the bassinet top. and slowly worked it away from the bed
    jenn660

Answer by jenn660 at 12:47 PM on May. 25, 2011