OK. So I do have him in speech therapy. They aren't doing anything I'm not already doing. His doctor thinks he's fine, but I don't. I don't want to give him a complex though. He just won't pay attention long enough for me to teach him. What am I doing wrong? ( This is in addition to my first question for those who needed more info)

CM2TX08

Asked by CM2TX08 at 3:59 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't think you are doing anything wrong. Most normal, healthy toddlers will NOT sit still to be read to or sit still for lessons.
    Every single thing in the world is new and interesting so his attention bounces from thing to thing - just like any normal, bright toddler. This can be very frustrating to parents who tell their toddler to "listen". Guess what... he is listening. Just not to you. It might be a truck in the distance that has grabbed his attention or a dog barking a few doors down. But he is listening. The ability to determine the priority of WHAT to listen to takes time and doesn't kick in for a year or two yet.
    From everything I've read and from talking to several other moms, some kids just don't speak that early. They are normal, healthy, bright kids. They can hear and understand. They just aren't that interested in talking.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:39 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• As long as your son can hear and can make his wants known, I'm with your pediatrician on this. Back off and let him develop at his own pace. Keep in mind that toddlers have a nasty habit of refusing to do the things they sense are important to you. That might be potty training or it might be talking. It's just part of being a toddler.
    kaycee14

• It might be helpful to talk to a Developmental Therapist, who can answer your questions and give you tips. You can also talk to the Speech Therapist with your concerns.

I have 2 - 1 year olds in many different therapies. I found that the key to getting them to do excercises is to make it a game. You may have to try many different things to find what keeps him interested. Also, doing the excercises for shorter time periods more often during the day makes it easier. Little ones have such a short attention span.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 6:24 PM on Dec. 8, 2008