Now do you think Ryan's budget will hurt the GOP 2012?

In what can be taken as the first referendum on the House Republican budget authored by Rep. Paul Ryan, Democrat Kathy Hochul picked up a Republican seat in western New York thanks in part to her ability to attach GOP candidate Jane Corwin to the budget's restructuring of Medicare.

The surprise upset in New York's 26th congressional district, is likely to be seen by many as a bellwether for 2012.

The Medicare issue has already divided the party, with many -- like Sen. Scott Brown, R-Mass. -- saying they won't vote for Ryan's budget.

Rnurse

Asked by Rnurse at 5:55 AM on May. 25, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• No. Mostly because what the Dems are saying about it is lies.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:32 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Surprise? We are talking NY. LOL The surprise was that there was a Republican there in the first place. Also, I have not read where it was healthcare(especially the Ryan plan) that enabled her to win. Even if it was, it means little when you start talking about the economy, the debt and the 2012 election because Ryan isn't running for President and his proposal will not be on the ballot. I love his plan but I know it will not become law without changes no matter who wins the election
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:52 AM on May. 25, 2011

• It's New York not a shocker a Dem won the seat. I am sure Dems hope this will prevent a Republican from getting the White House. I personally like Ryans plan but it will never be law makes too much sense and our Congress is all about doing the wrong thing at this point. Spend, spend, spend and try and figure out who to screw to pay for it later.
    chaiteamomma

Answer by chaiteamomma at 9:23 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I know the Dems would like for this to be a referendum on Ryan and the GOP...I just don't see the link. Given Reid's announcement regarding the budget and what a mess his "plan" will make....I think people are going to be running to the GOP in 2012.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:21 AM on May. 25, 2011

• It's only NY...LOL

Apparently some need a lesson in how the electoral college works in regards to electing the POTUS-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:49 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I hope it is just the beginning!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Yes, its NY, but this district heavily leans Republican, and only three Democrats have won in the last century, I see this as just the beginning. Scott Brown was the republicans beginning of change. I wouldn't be suprised if Democrats win back the house in 2012.

Washington (CNN) - It's one of the storylines for 2012: Can the Democrats win back control of the House of Representatives?

A new poll suggests that they may have a chance.

Rnurse

Comment by Rnurse (original poster) at 12:52 PM on May. 25, 2011

• According to a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey released Tuesday, the Democrats have a four-point margin over the Republicans in the battle for control of Congress. The poll indicates that 50 percent registered voters say if the election for Congress was held today, they would vote for the Democrat in their district, with 46 percent saying they would cast a ballot for the Republican in their district. The Democrats' four-point margin is within the poll's sampling error.

May 10th, 2011

CNN Poll: Democrats up 50-46 percent in battle for House

By: CNN Political Unit

Rnurse

Comment by Rnurse (original poster) at 12:57 PM on May. 25, 2011

• "It's far too early to use these results to accurately forecast the 2012 congressional elections," Holland notes. "But it does indicate that some of the shifts that swept the GOP into power in 2010 may be shifting back."
    Rnurse

Comment by Rnurse (original poster) at 12:59 PM on May. 25, 2011

• think people are going to be running to the GOP in 2012.

WHY? it's a mirror image twin of the Dems-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:53 PM on May. 25, 2011