How do I get my Autisic son to start washing his own

hair and body. He is 8 and has pddnos. He is very high functioning. He just hates having his hair washed, and getting his head wet.

sweetangie79

Asked by sweetangie79 at 6:10 AM on May. 25, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son has Asperger's. He would not let you wash his hair so we found one of those visors at Walmart that cover their face while you wash their hair. It was still a fight but I got strong with him and told him we were washing it one way or another. I poured water over his hair without the cap when he wouldn't let me put it on and then showed him when he put it on that if he just looked forward and not down none of the water got in his face. He is almost eight but this is still how we wash his hair. Took some effort but he eventually does not mind....Now just getting him to wash himself.....
    lehmanladner

Answer by lehmanladner at 10:22 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Are you working with a behavioral health specialist? These kids learn best when you can break the task into smaller tasks and then reward/give positive feedback for eachsmaller task that's mastered.  Sometimes, a picture list of what needs to be done can help.  With boys, you might want to start with a short haircut that's easy to manage.  DD has Aspergers and likes to wear her hair in a ponytail.  I know at 14, that she does a poor job with hygiene.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 10:57 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Work with him on it, rewards maybe?
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:05 AM on Jun. 10, 2011