Sex offenders adult content

What would you do,or how woyld you feel if you found out your next door neighbor was a registered sex offender? My good friend informed me yesterday that mine is. The charge against him is aggrivated sexual battery. I have 5 kids, 16 y.o. Son, 15 y.o. Son and daughter, 2 y.o. Son and 1 y.o. Daughter. The cops were just at his house the day before yesterday and i'm not sure why, but my friend said she saw that he was suppose to re-register in april and hadn't. Isn't someone suppose to let you know about these kinds of things? Would you do anything about it, or anything differently?

jdrae13

Asked by jdrae13 at 7:02 AM on May. 25, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• My uncle is a registered sex offender but he's appealing because he did NOT do what he is accused of. His lawyer sucked and didn't even try to admit pertinent evidence. Basically if it was a new neighbor I'd be wary, if we'd lived there for a while with no trouble I would keep acting normally because I don't know if he/she was really guilty or not.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 7:14 AM on May. 25, 2011

• No they dont have to let you know. That is why they created the website. If you want to know why he was in jail you can ask for the police record or go get a copy of his criminal record and look up police records using that. You can also ask the police why they were there the other day and they should be able to direct you to someone who knows. It is all public information. Unless you are the victim they dont inform because it is public info.

Answer by gemgem at 7:28 AM on May. 25, 2011

• They should have a website. As for why the police were there it could be to do a random verification or maybe it had nothing to do with being a sex offender and was another police matter entirely. As for your kids keep a close eye on them and don't let them be outside alone. Talk to them about it and educate them.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 7:47 AM on May. 25, 2011

• They do have a website to check for sex offenders

http://www.familywatchdog.us/

Answer by gemgem at 7:52 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Several years ago my neighbor was a sex offender. He was 18 and his girlfriend was 15. He got her pregnant and ended up as a sex offender. Now since this guys is aggravated I would say that is probably not the case. However, it also doesn't mean he is a child offender. I would check the website, talk to you kids, and just be vigiliant.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 7:55 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Unless you let your kids roam the neighborhood unsupervised then I wouldnt worry about it. Just because people were charged with something doesnt mean everything. Sometimes people get charged with something that was irrelevant. Just how the world works
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 8:15 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I agree with campbell3421- this is going to sound super weird, but we have a registered sex offender in out little townhouse complex. We have lived here about 5 and a half years. If you look it up usually it isn't very specific. Anyways, I have come to know the wife of this sex offender very well. She explained what happened to me. It was something small that happened when he was a teenager. Our kids play together and I don't feel threatened at all by him. Even if he were creepy, he works out of town and is only home on the weekends. I'm in no way saying not to be careful, you have to watch out for your kids- just saying this is my personal experience with a registered sex offender.
    lauralivivy

Answer by lauralivivy at 9:17 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Sucks but part of life. You have sex offenders in your neighborhood. You may have a meth house down the road you are not aware of. I would be uncomfortable with a sex offender as my neighbor too.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 9:21 AM on May. 25, 2011

• if ur absolutely sure, do whatever it takes to get his ass off the street. but make sure ur really sure! one experience with any child is enough to ruin a childs life. i'm someone who knows...
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 9:24 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Yes u r suppose to receive something in the mail about a sex offended in ur neighborhood. I believe that there is a way to get him out if us like. My ex sil lives by a park and there is an offender in that area. I always thought they weren't allow by parks or schools.
    startingover777

Answer by startingover777 at 10:23 AM on May. 25, 2011