How to behave?

We live (rent) in a very rich community in CA. My daughter takes piano lessons 3 times a week from the Russian lady who lives (own house) in the community. In about 3 weeks there is a piano recital hosted by a very rich family. All other people coming to the recital are very rich, own homes in the community.

The teacher requested that we will be very well dressed (smoking for my husband and evening dress for me). My husband is a professor at nearby university and never wore a smoking. Moreover, I afraid he will refuse to wear smoking to this recital ( held in a very nice concert house by the ocean).

My daughter is looking forward to the recital, she was a visitor in one (but so much less formal). She plays her pieces very well, this is not a problem. All other children learn in other classes at school. She knows relatively well only one child (the teacher's daughter).

There is informal socialization after the recital and I don't know what to talk with those people. I do not know music very well, probably won't know any other pieces other than my daughter plays. I don't know what to speak with this people.

Any help or advice, since I do want to go, for my daughter. Help.

ganna04

Asked by ganna04 at 7:18 AM on May. 25, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• I'm sure your husband could get by in a nice business suit. And as far as talking to others, yes, music might be what brought you together but that doesn't mean it has to be the sole subject of the evening. There are thousands of things to talk about, just get out there and let it flow. Don't stress.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:34 AM on May. 25, 2011

• They are just people like you. They aren't monsters with three heads. Talk about the weather. Talk about the music classes that your kids take together. Whatever.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 8:58 AM on May. 25, 2011

• first off your hubby can wear a nice suit and be fine, second you talk to "these" people like you would talk to anyone else in life .....just ask questions about basic things like the view , the landscape, mention how nice the recital was, talk about a movie or play that you've seen......just because they have money and live the high life doesnt mean there going to be monsters.....relax and have fun......
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:18 AM on May. 25, 2011

• No... The problem they might see us as monsters who does not belong.
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 11:32 AM on May. 25, 2011

• There is no reason to be intimidated by people who seem to have more than you do. The operative word being "seem." Hold your head high and enjoy the event!
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 3:31 PM on May. 25, 2011