It's the music that moves you!!

I used to attend a non-denominational church and I loved it but I realized the reason was because of the music and while yes, the message was uplifting too, I wanted to focus on music. We all know music effects us in different ways. When we are sad sometimes we listen to uplifting songs that get us in the "mood" to feel better. When we are mad sometimes we listen to music that represents how we feel.

Anyway, many churches now use contemporary and rock "Christian" music before their sermons begin. The purpose is to get you ready for the big message of the day right? I have heard a lot claim that it is the holy spirit that moves you and that the euphoric state of mind that you are in is again the holy spirit speaking through you.

My thinking and some of you may or may not agree is that music is music. It can send powerful feelings because of the rhythm and words. The same goes for the sermon or any other motivational speech. It is not necessarily the holy spirit or truth but it is what perhaps you need to hear at the time and the way it is spoken.

Your thoughts?

jujubean1979200

Asked by jujubean1979200 at 8:00 AM on May. 25, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• i agree with you.. it's merely an emotional response. nothing to do with the Holy Spirit.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:03 AM on May. 25, 2011

• thanks. I didn't post this to stray anyone away or make them doubt their beliefs I am just a researcher and a big thinker and it occured to me that i could walk in to a big room with a powerful motivational speaker who is telling me to get up and just do it and feel amazing afterwards but that doesn't mean it is the holy spirit
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 8:08 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I think it was John Stossel who did an expose on the music used at churches to influence emotion and physical chemical responses in the brain. I'm gonna try to go find it.
    Anyway, we have contemporary christian rock music, DS played lead guitar for the church band until he got his summer job and I liked it a lot better than the funeral dirges some of the other churches played every sunday. DH used to call the organ player Lurch.
    Depending on the church, music is either very important ( praise) or not important at all ( church of christ) and is an individual decision as to how they feel about the words of some of the songs.
    I do think, when it comes to large groupings in coliseums and stadiums the music can be manipulated or used specifically to get a specific response either wanted or needed by the organization putting on the event.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:10 AM on May. 25, 2011

• i love music. It is my life and it just got me curious you know? It doesn't mean it is a bad thing but it surely can get you in the "mood" heheheh
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 8:11 AM on May. 25, 2011

• we have nothing but music services sometimes and yes, the spirit can move you through music, this is my personal experience though, may not happen for everyone
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 8:19 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Well, I got to get to work , I can't find it but if my memory serves me correctly
    It was Benny Hinn they investigated and it was shown that the music he used and how he used it caused people to actually believe they were being healed at these services when they in fact were not. Maybe it was Dateline or 2020 I'm not sure, but it's out there and the story was really good.
    Nobody can prove or disprove when or how the holy spirit reaches an individual, but I know I'll never go back to a church that doesn't have good music or plays a friggin organ like it's the 1800's again. bleh...
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:25 AM on May. 25, 2011

• haha jewjewbee. Have a good day.

I don't believe it is the holy spirit at all however. I think it is purely an emotional response because it doesn't effect everyone the same way!
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 8:28 AM on May. 25, 2011

• neither does the holy spirit
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 8:41 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Emotional response.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:47 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Now you know why I adore small country churches. The one I attend only uses the hymnal and piano at the end of the service. I prefer to hear the word from my Minister and be moved by his words and the Bible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on May. 25, 2011