Do you have your towel?

It's towel day!
Bring a towel wherever you go, doesn't matter how big!
After all, a towel is the most useful thing a person can have.
Everyone is invited! 

------

Okay, in case someone doesn't know what towel day is:

Towel Day is an annual event that was put together by Douglas Adams fans after his passing to honor his memory. The first towel day was in May 25, 2001. (Oh hey, this will be the 10th, huh?) after Douglas Adams died on May 11, 2001. The even is a reference to his book, "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

------

This is the quote from the book: 

"A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapors; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (such a mind-bogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.

More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: non-hitch hiker) discovers that a hitch hiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, face flannel, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitch hiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitch hiker might accidentally have "lost". What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.

Hence a phrase that has passed into hitchhiking slang, as in "Hey, you sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is." (Sass: know, be aware of, meet, have sex with; hoopy: really together guy; frood: really amazingly together guy.)"

SpiritedWitch

Asked by SpiritedWitch at 8:33 AM on May. 25, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Of course
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:50 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Thanks for the reminder, I'll go grab one now! :)
    not-the-momma

Answer by not-the-momma at 8:55 AM on May. 25, 2011

• of course! though I didn't even know it was Towel Day. how awesome! but I always have a towel, b/c I am one cool frood.
    :o)
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 9:05 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I was thinking about how useful a towel is the other day. I keep a small one in my car. I use it for mopping up if I sweat after walking at the mall, for mopping up spills in the car, for protecting the steering wheel or seat if the inside of the car gets hot when I am shopping, for hanging out the window if the car breaks down, for protecting the seat if I have to put something on the seat that might scratch or leak, as a napkin if I eat something that might drip, as a throw up rag if needed, to flick bugs out, - I do wash the towel frequently of course.

Answer by Bmat at 9:23 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Thanks
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:35 AM on May. 25, 2011

• definitely
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 9:02 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Crap! All I have is my wash cloth!
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:03 AM on May. 25, 2011

• hahaha
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:15 AM on May. 25, 2011

• awesome.. all my friends will know of this "towel day"
    allybobally

Answer by allybobally at 3:09 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Of course :)
    Scribble

Answer by Scribble at 7:37 PM on May. 25, 2011