How do i get my 3 year old to listen.

Ive tried everything.. NOTHING WORKS and all she does is think its funny. weve done spanking, time out, taking away toys. its getting pretty annoying and its every day

chrstny88

Asked by chrstny88 at 8:43 AM on May. 25, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I want to know the answer to this one as well. I am having a hard time too.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:46 AM on May. 25, 2011

• When my dd was little we had a weird way of making sure she was listening. I would put my finger on my nose and she would do the same. For some odd reason it worked. I didn't use it all the time. She knew if my finger was on my nose it was time to stop and listen. She would stand in front of me (I would be at eye level for her) and she would put her finger on her nose. We both held our fingers there until I finished what I had to say and she repeated it.

Hmmmm...she is 8 now and has decided she does't need to listen. maybe I should re-instate the finger on the nose.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 8:49 AM on May. 25, 2011

• You need to be consistent. I would not spank as it teaches a child that you can use violence to get your way. She is testing you at this age. It's a game for her, but it's how she's learning. If she needs to get dressed and she's watching TV, you tell her, you then ask her to repeat what you said. If she 'doesn't listen', you shut off the TV. If she then has a tantrum, you put her in time out. You keep her in time out until she's sat quietly for 3 minutes. You then keep after her until she's gotten dressed like you asked her to.

This is sort of a combination of 1-2-3 Magic and Supper Nanny. It is hard work and things will most likely get worse before they get better. After about a week, your efforts will be rewarded.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:31 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Something we do is say "Ok, Sarah in 5 minutes it is naptime. Okay?" and then expecting them to say "Ok mommy." This has helped tremendously!!! Not only giving them a warning (10 minutes will we leave the playdate) but also letting them know what you expect of them (we are going to the grocery store, we will not be buying candy today, Okay?? "Okay Mommy.", when we get in the grocery store there will be no running you will stay right my Moms side, Okay?? "Okay Mommy.") Etc!!! HTHs and GL! Mine turns 3 in June!
    dragonflylovr19

Answer by dragonflylovr19 at 3:07 PM on May. 25, 2011

• When my DD appears to not be listening, I actually kneel down in front of her and have her look at my mouth as I am repeating whatever it was -- That has always worked for me.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 10:20 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Totally agree with JSD24.... that's pretty much how we did it... I use the counting to 5 thing then punish.. TO's, take aways, sent to room, off goes the tv, etc. I say this is how it is or "XYZ" will happen, then count to 5... if they haven't conformed I do "XYZ"... no waffling on the consequence. It didn't talk long for them to get I mean what I say!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:28 PM on May. 25, 2011