What is the best method for potty training? And how long did it take your little one to "get" it?

I am LOST so any advice would be AWESOME! LOL!

LDsmommy

Asked by LDsmommy at 2:56 PM on Jul. 11, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• actually I'd say she was "easy" but it took over six months to really have her get it [meaning she fully and completley was ready for the potty]mainly I had ahard time teaching her to pull up and down her pants and underwear and wiping is still a process she needs to really get ingrained to do it right. And I did it by leaving her with nothing on at home because then she couldn't hide her accidents and she would get really embarrassed when she had an accident on the floor but it worked to get her wanting to use the potty.
    Tayleina

Answer by Tayleina at 3:36 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• They have to want to be potty trained. We pushed our son and it was of no use. Then one day it just clicked. It was right after he turned three. Some kids are easier than others! Just don't fight it!
    Brenna

Answer by Brenna at 4:12 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• You can't potty train a child unless they are ready, however you can make them familiar with the potty seat, it's how I'm working with my son, i'm getting him familiaried with the proccess of using the bathroom, so when it's time he'll have the concept, i've also bought him a couple of those cartoon how to potty movies and the books, since he started looking at those he's trying to more often in his seat
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 6:17 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• we had a party, saying goodbye to diapers and sippy cups, pacis (for one kid anyway) and hello to big kid undies...
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 10:03 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• potty training before 2 or at 2 is over rated! do it when they are ready and you will have less accidents. I know this after the 1st dd I pushed it and there was a million accidents so i waited for my other 2 girls and they gave up diapers on their own around 3 and without accidents. my 4th is a boy and I'm trying to buy him his favorite types of underwear (spidey, hulk etc.) he can go potty but refuses to learn when he has to go potty and he is 3 and a half. the kicker is he is the size of a 5 yr old so it looks weird that he's in a diaper
    Anonymous

• I don't really think that there is a BEST method when it comes to potty training, since what might work for one child might not necessarily work for the other. My son who is three is completely potty trained & let me tell you, it definitely didn't happen overnight, lol. I would let him run around the house naked, bought him a potty book by: Alona Frankel (which we would read together or he would just look at the pictures & it comes in a girl & boy version), bought him big boy underwear that he picked out, asked him throughout the day if he had to go, & (as funny as this sounds) reminded him throughout the day to listen to his pee-pee. I personally feel that anything that is taught to a child should be taught in a fun, understanding, patient, loving, & encouraging way! I hope that this has been of some help & GOOD LUCK! = )
    ChEvYcHiCk4483

Answer by ChEvYcHiCk4483 at 4:02 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• My daughter was potty trained by 3 1/2...I actually tried the "watiting technique"...the potty was introduced but not forced...she decided at one point to finally go. We also had to get more creative...a piece of her favorite chocolate for peeing and one for pooping was a good strategy...but night time potty training is a real PAIN in the butt...

My advice is just let nature take it's course. The more you force the more resistance you'll get...but with repitiion eventually it will turn over and they'll be potty trained before you know it. I was always told "Don't worry about it, they don't go to college in diapers!"...yep guess so *S*

Best wishes
    truetigress

Answer by truetigress at 2:42 AM on Jul. 14, 2008