How do you react?

I was recently at the mall with a friend of mine. We walked into a store where some Muslim women were. They were dressed in their traditional garb (burka??) My friend did not want to stay in that store. It seems that she still feels that all Muslims are a threat. Do you know people like that? She is a good friend of mine and I just kind of had to agree to disagree on the subject.

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 9:05 AM on May. 25, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• No. I don't feel that way and I don't know of any friends I have that feel that way.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:11 AM on May. 25, 2011

• No my friends do not act like that around anyone.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 9:14 AM on May. 25, 2011

• i'm muslim american, and i dont know why muslims are a threat to people. muslims were never a threat to america. its just that it isn't very peaceful in the arab countries right now because of america's invasion to afghanistan and iraq. so in the arab countries, americans are the threat. but arabs dont treat americans as a threat overseas and refuse to enter stores, we know it has nothing to do with american individuals, but its their higher power. americans get respected overseas, and muslims should be treated the same way in america. i guess if ur friend chose to act that way, its her personal choice. at least u tried to reason with her, kudos to u :)
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 9:21 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Fanatics in any area of life can be dangerous. The only way you can change your friend's mind is to lead by example....next time just say you want to go in and either she can follow and find out for herself there is nothing to fear.....or she can wait for you. Following her made it look like you agreed with her
    PsychicSherry

Answer by PsychicSherry at 9:27 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I am a member of the US military. She found it odd that I didn't "hate" Muslims. I never knew she felt that way. I have never heard her make an unkind comment to anyone. I guess people are entitled to their own opinions. But I know of a lot of people who look twice when they see a Muslim in the store. I know of a lot of people who are still afraid when they see one on the plane. I am not saying it is right. I am just saying it happens all the time. Yes I feel the media is responsible.

On the flip side....I have known a few Muslims who did nothing to try to convince anyone otherwise. We had a neighbor who refused to let her kids play with American children. My dd was super confused by it.

Also....I once asked a Muslim woman a question about her faith because I was truly curious...not being mean or anything...I just wanted to know. She refused to answer me.

But I think this happens in all faiths.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 9:28 AM on May. 25, 2011

• i would've said, ''ok..i'll meet you down at the food court when i'm done.''
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:28 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Sherry.... I didn't follow her. I stood outside and talked to her for a few minutes and went in and bought what I was looking for.

Me---I am more prone to skip a store if there are some thug looking teenagers in there...regardless of color.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 9:30 AM on May. 25, 2011

• well the muslim woman you asked was wrong not to answer your question. it's rude. i'd be glad to answer that same question for you. :)
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 9:32 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I will admit that when dealing with any new culture the first time I am a bit apprehensive not knowing if I will do or say something "wrong", but after tutoring ESL students in a college with a larger Arabic population, I became quite familiar and comfortable.

To me, it isn't "fear" I suppose, it is me being worried I will do or say something completely offensive. Not that I try. LOL
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:49 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I don't judge everyone because of some bad apples......

Answer by older at 10:02 AM on May. 25, 2011