How long after delivery do working moms return to work?

This question about Maternity Leave. How many weeks. months, usually involves?
How much is paid?
I'm interested to know if this differs for every state or all depends on the employer and company policy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on May. 25, 2011 in Money & Work

• I took about 6 weeks with my first and 8 weeks with my second, both at 100% pay. If you qualify for FMLA, you can take up to 3 months, but all or part of it may be unpaid. It depends on your employer.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:11 AM on May. 25, 2011

• 12 weeks unpaid is the law. Paid leave varies from company to company. Only a very few states require paid leave. I took 7 weeks with DS and 12 weeks with DD. Unpaid but using sick and vacation pay. With DD I also have Aflac temporary disability pay.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:12 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Andrea96

Thanks
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:13 AM on May. 25, 2011

• But_M
    Thank you as well
    Anonymous

• http://www.parents.com/pregnancy/my-life/maternity-paternity-leave/maternity-leave-by-state/   

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:16 AM on May. 25, 2011

• The 12 weeks unpaid law is an FML thing. If your company has less than 50 employees they don't have to follow that law.
    In PA, there is no state maternity leave. My company does not offer materinity leave pay, but they do offer short term insurnace that I used to cover for my time off. Insurance covered 6 weeks, I saved some money and vacation time to stay out 8 weeks.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 9:17 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I took 9 weeks with my first (8 weeks maternity leave; 1 week vacation); I was paid 100% of my pay for the entire time because I had been with the company long enough to do so (this was before Family Leave was enacted).
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 9:17 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I think I was only off for 2 weeks after I had my son. I healed very quickly thank God but, also temp leave only covered me for 2 weeks and mama needed to put food on the table 10years ago. Now I am blessed and I don't have to work but, I am back in school.
    jennbismack

Answer by jennbismack at 9:22 AM on May. 25, 2011

• 6 weeks, but i took an extra 2 weeks without pay, the temp covered for me. The law states that if you have under a certain amount of employees (i think 25) they only have to pay you for the 6 weeks of pay, the rest is your vacation leave)
    ttk2

Answer by ttk2 at 9:25 AM on May. 25, 2011

• my company gave 6 weeks for vaginal delivery, then I took 2 weeks of my vacation time. I know they have to hold your job for 12 weeks, but they do not have to pay you for all of that time. I only could stay home until the 100% pay ran out.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 9:34 AM on May. 25, 2011