If my dogs can get out through out the day and night shouldn't they be able to get back in the backyard???

I know we should get better fence but with christmas it has to wait a bit. I'm thinking of letting them sit in the front patio for the day. Can I train them to stop jumping out the fence is 4 feet high the dog I'd med size and she jumps

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Pets

• If you your dogs have excess to the back yard when ever, then this is what I did.I went to the local feed store for horses ,dogs,sheep,pigs,rabbits etc. Looked for the the adapter for install a hot wire to the top of my fence. They have the right ones for dogs! You make a complete circle along the top of the fence with wire and install the electric adapter. The shock is minor, when they touch it, but I know when they did they have never gone near the fence again. They can also smell it, the heat. Will not hurt them I promice. Now after they learned not to jump the fence, I have turned it off! But the wire is still there. They know now what the rules are. It may sound cruel but it is NOT. It will not hurt them. But will give them a small electric shock and they won't do it again..Once they learn, turn the heat off. Keeps out burglers too!
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 7:05 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I don't know the answer to this, but my dad's german sheppard found every way out of the yard. when he was little, he dug his way out, and when he got big he jumped over the fence. My dad ended up just getting him a run long enough for him to run the whole fenced in part, but that way he couldn't dig his way out or jump over.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 4:20 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• You can train a dog to do anything. It takes persistence on your part. That's really the only reason any training fails with a dog.....the owner is not diligent in training. It's a constant thing through the day, and it's every day. I put up a string as a boundary for my dog. "Don't cross the string". Once that was in control I used painters tape. "Don't cross the line". Now there's no tape, no string, nothing. Just stay. But my dogs are never out for an extended time without me, as I'm aware of their chase/hunting drive, and that's very strong. If a squirrel should run across next yard and one sees it, he's off and running after it.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 4:22 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• My dog kept digging under our fence (there was one spot where the dirt was very soft and of course he found it!). We ended up putting up a kennel in the backyard where we put him if he's going to be out for a while alone, or if we have people over because some of our friends are afraid of him. Dh lined the kennel with bricks so he can't dig. You can get ones with a top on them so they can't jump out too.
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 9:04 PM on Dec. 8, 2008