How do you Moms plan healthy meals for your children on a tight/busy schedule?

MU32hooper

Asked by MU32hooper at 9:22 AM on May. 25, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I usually plan a healthy meat course and the vegetables and then have the same thing the next day warmed up, and the next day in a casserole or soup.

Answer by Bmat at 9:25 AM on May. 25, 2011

• FOR ROSIE T, theres nothing wrong with heating up meals. i can only cook like every day if i have like nothing to do, which is hardly ever. so i cook one day and left overs the next day, try to include soups that last about 3 days. so i cook every other day. if i'm free i'll make food for a day.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 9:27 AM on May. 25, 2011

• casseroles are the best...you can add more veggies to make it stretch and even crock pot meals. They are easy because you dont have to watch it cook you just have the prep time and can do other things while it cooks.
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 9:27 AM on May. 25, 2011

• We try on the weekends to fit in some time to cook a few meals for the week, then we just reheat and enjoy!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 9:30 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Planning is the key. Block out an hour once a week to sit down and really think about what you'll be eating for dinner every night and how much time you have to make it. On crazy days, you plan to put something in the crockpot. On days where you'll be home, but you have a ton of things to do, you can put a roast or a chicken in the oven. They're quick to prep and once they're in the oven, you just have to be around to turn or baste. Chop some root veggies to roast with the meat and you've got a complete meal. On days when you know don't have time to cook, plan for leftovers, a quick pasta dinner, or even something pre-packaged. A boxed or frozen meal every couple of weeks isn't going to kill anyone.
    But the key is all in taking that one hour - or even less - sitting down with your your calendar and a cookbook, and planning it out ahead of time.
    SelaCarsen

Answer by SelaCarsen at 10:01 AM on May. 25, 2011

• OAMC. I spend one or two days a month doing most of my cooking of main meals & side dishes for the entire month, then freeze them for when I need them. After a few months, I have a nice selection of meals to choose from that are either "heat & eat" or for which all of the prep has been done & they just need cooked to be ready to eat. If I'm feeling super ambitiious, I'll go through the month's meals & plan my menus to be sure that I'll have fresh veggies, salad and/or fruit on hand to go with each meal, too. I also freeze breakfast meals (homemade pancakes, waffles & sandwiches), bread dough, muffins & homemade cookie doughs. I will prepare a meal from scratch when I have time, but for when I don't, we still get to have a home-cooked meal.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 4:50 PM on May. 25, 2011