How can I increase my milk supply?

I have a 3 month old and just started back to work. I pump 3 times a day at work, and never get more than 3 ounces total. I have tried fenugreek, cream of wheat and nonalcholic beer. Nothing seems to work. I used to get 5 ounces everytime I pumped, and then I got Mirena at my 6 week (actually 9 weeks) after baby appointment. I don't know if the birth control is what has brought it down or what. If there is any other suggestions I can try before I have the IUC removed, I am willing to try anything. I am not making enough milk for him to eat all day, and I really want to have him on breastmilk for the first year.

Jen1229

Asked by Jen1229 at 4:21 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I heard the more you feed and pump the more milk your body has to produce.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 4:24 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Can you add a pumping session or two when you are at home? That might help. Maybe pump on one side while nursing on the other. Oatmeal, not cream of wheat, can help. How much fenugreek are you taking?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:25 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• every woman is different of course but i also noticed a change in my supply when i started taking the mini pill after the birth of my first child. it could be you are experiencing the same thing due to the hormones involved in the birth control. you might want to consider an alternate form of birth control.

however, it could just be that you are pumping less because, eventually, your supply levels out and you don't produce that over abundance that you do when baby first arrives.
    pumping is a poor indicator of how much milk you are making because baby is more effective at draining and stimulating the breast.

as far as supplements go, how many and how often were you taking fenugreek? for it to really work you need to take 3 capsules up to 3 times a day. drink plenty of fluids and make sure you are eating enough calories.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 4:25 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Was your doc aware that you were breastfeeding when giving you the Mirena? I used to take Ortho, loved it, but had to take a mini-pill (Micronor) after baby because Ortho would be too hard on my milk supply. I'm not sure how Mirena affects it, though.

I would either call a lactation league or a consultant (you may even be able to call the hospital you delivered at and talk to their people, I can call mine for up to six months) and ask what else you can do. I am terrified of my milk drying up but so far have had no reason to be...I'm prepared to move heaven and earth to get help if I need it, though! :)

Ooh, and most importantly, relax! Stressing about it won't help your boobs let it out!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:27 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• The best thing to have is green smoothies.

Greens increase your milk supply. And fruits and greens have all the nutrients the body requires.

If you would like some recipes let me know.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 4:44 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• It's pretty much a supply and demand thing. You'll usually supply more if your body thinks it's feeding more basically. If your pumping AND feeding you should be ok. I had the problem of drying up to quick with my second child. So you just need to call a (boobie) lactation specialist they'll usually tell you or even just a nurse sometimes might be able too.
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 4:51 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• there was an herb FENUGREEK my lactation consolultant had me take...I had to take two-three times a day and that did help... it is hard to find tho Good luck and the more you stress the harder it is to produce so relax
    Srkimmel

Answer by Srkimmel at 8:23 PM on Dec. 8, 2008