I feel awful!

I have a 7 year old Maltese that I've had since he was 3 months old, well my husband and I have an 8 month old son and live in an apartment on the 3rd floor. This being said, we decided to find a different home for him because the whole going up and down 3 flights 3 to 4 times a day with the baby was getting hard and we weren't giving the dig as much attention as before that he deserves. Also since the baby got home he started to act out and pee inside all the time! So yesterday we gave him to a very nice family and I thought it would be easy, but I'm dying if sadness today! I feel like a cold hearted person, how could I just give up on my doggy and give him away after 7 years :(?????

PANZONSMOM

Asked by PANZONSMOM at 9:42 AM on May. 25, 2011 in Pets

• Stop beating yourself up.......you did the right thing, the dog will be happier and you can always get another dog later when it is right. Hugs mama!!!!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 9:50 AM on May. 25, 2011

• You did not give up on your pet....you did what you thought was best all the way around. Maybe the family will let you visit?
    PsychicSherry

Answer by PsychicSherry at 9:44 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Pets r part of the family,too bad u had to sacrifice one family member for the other instead of walking the dog while the baby is being walked.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Sometimes we have to make tough decisions and won't ever know if they're the right ones. I'm sure your pooch is in good hands with his new family. They will probably love him just as much as you do. Hugs!
    AFairyTaleGirl

Answer by AFairyTaleGirl at 10:26 AM on May. 25, 2011

• ((Hugs)) It gets easier. You did the best thing for your doggy. I had to get rid of my beloved cat because my son was allergic. And yes, maybe you can visit. You loved your dog enough to let go. You're a good mommy.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:52 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Aww, don't be too hard on yourself. You had to do what you thought was best for your family AND the dog, and you picked a nice family that will love and care for her. You could have done like my mom, and just take the family pet to a subdivision and chuck her out. Not nice at all.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:02 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Is there a possibility that you can keep in touch with the people you gave him to? At least that way you can know how he is doing... Also, if it doesn't work out with that family, did you give them the option to bring the dog back to you? I know it's hard to do, but i peruse Craigslist almost daily, and with the way things are nowadays there are alot of people rehoming their pets because of money, moving, divorce etc... its sad, but if you felt comfortable with these people, and your dog didn't act up, i'm sure that he will be fine.
    nybor48

Answer by nybor48 at 2:56 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Aww, I really sorry to hear that. Hugssssss. I once had to let a dog go because I loved him so much and wanted what was best for him and my family, but I didn't think I would ever get over it. I still can barely look at his picture without crying. It will get easier, I promise...but it will take some time.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:18 PM on May. 25, 2011

• The dog was there first. If he was peeing, and he wasn't fixed then neutering him would have solved that.
    Training may also have helped. If you walk your child, then walk the dog too.
    But, I guess you did what you felt was best. I hope though, the family was as nice as you think it was. (sometimes, people who buy dogs for medical lab testing, makeup tests, cleaners/solvents and fighting, pose as a nice family, buy dogs and the dogs go through unspeakable pain)
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:51 AM on May. 25, 2011