Make a thing out of it, or just let it go ?

I am a young ( proud) wife and soon to be mom ( I got married before I got pregnant) ... I am also still in school.

I graduate in a few weeks and I just found out that my maiden name will be on my diploma, I got married last summer so my name was changed even before I started school this year.

Most of the time my married name was "honored", a few times there were a few mix ups but those were fine....

I plan on keeping my married last name, even if someday my husband and I do end in divorce, i would still keep it since it will be my children's last name .

I really want my last name to be correct on my diploma, it is afterall my last name now (and has been for basically a year) .

Would you "fight" to have this fixed or just let it go ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on May. 25, 2011 in Just for Fun

• just like being a wife and mother graduation is an honor fight for it you deserve to be recognized with your last name Mrs so-n-so my mother always said if you don't stand up for yourself you'll sit through anything for what its worth im so super uber proud of you CONGRATULATIONS momma

graduate

way to go

you rock

timbrikaylamom

Answer by timbrikaylamom at 11:55 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I wouldn't worry about it. Many people finish school before they get married and even if they go into a profession where people always see their diplomas, like Dr's or Lawyer's, people realize that women's name change when they marry.
    not-the-momma

Answer by not-the-momma at 10:01 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Change it....
    PsychicSherry

Answer by PsychicSherry at 10:00 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I would fight if it meant that much to you, if not let it go.

Answer by older at 10:00 AM on May. 25, 2011

• i wouldnt fight per say,i would really try to change it, but if all else fails, don't sweat it. i decided to keep my maiden name, and i'm married with 2 kids now. its just the way i want it. but dont let it get u pissed on this special day. congratulations by the way!
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 10:01 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Personally I'd let it go. I understand being proud of being married but high school diplomas, and I'm assuming this is your high school diploma, is something that is the culmination of something you did with your maiden name. Why not have that last thing from before adult life really kicks in?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I personally wouldn't fight it but that's how I am haha
    You did go by your maiden name for most of your time in school. I am personally glad that my maiden name is on my diploma and on my college degrees. Its something that I accomplished on my own before I met my husband.
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:13 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Your name, your choice.......fight it and change it.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 10:05 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Well I mean I obviously want my married last name on it, and I have said something about it, and they just kind of brushed it off ( with a " why are you bothering me" attitude ) ...

I am one of those people who don't like a big deal out of things, and I guess I am also kind of shy - sometimes hard to speak up for things...

But I really would prefer to have my actual last name on the diploma, I mean if they mispelled someones name or something I am sure they would have to fix that ...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:10 AM on May. 25, 2011

• They probably brushed it off, and I'm not saying it is okay, because in the grand scheme of all the things that must be done at the end of the year and especially for those graduating high school, a name change is out of the ordinary and maybe even small in their opinion. Again, not saying it's right for them to act that way about your concerns but the truth is it's probably too late to change it now anyway.

When do you graduate?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on May. 25, 2011