Should I call in sick?

I REALLY need a mental health day because I'm feeling so overwhelmed between work and housework and just would like one day to myself to catch up and do something for me for a change, but I can't bring myself to call in sick when I'm really not sick. I'd have to lie to my boss when I call in and I'm a terrible liar (well I just don't like to lie). What would you do?

not-the-momma

Asked by not-the-momma at 10:17 AM on May. 25, 2011 in Money & Work

• when you call in sick you don't have to explain WHY you are sick. Just state your name, that you are using a sick day, and that's all the boss needs to know. No lying this way, and it's perfectly legit. In fact recommended to do, rather than to say a lie (and get caught for it later)

for example, say you say you have a bug, and go out to a restaurant with a friend and run into your boss... not only is he going to be mad, but he's going to KNOW you lied, and it's going to effect your work relationship with him. If you just say you are using a sick day, he can't complain, you didn't lie to him, he knows your allowed so many sick days to use as you see necessary. Thus you keep any relationship in tacked.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:04 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Go to work and request a day off.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 10:23 AM on May. 25, 2011

• i would suck it up and go to work and plan a mental health day on my day off.......people at work are depending on you and if your not truely sick its wrong to call in ...jmo
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:19 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I would go...do you get "personal days"? Or request an extra day off and plan it.
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 11:24 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I would suck it up and go in to work, and then when I got to work I would check the schedule to see what days are available for vacation, and put in a vacation day request.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:16 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Mental health day - take it!
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 3:28 PM on May. 25, 2011