Is this a good idea or just cheeky?

My Mother is coming home early hours of the morning from a 2 week holiday in Thailand, I've been watching the house for her, and I thought it would be a nice idea to bake a cake for her arrival, as she's been so helpful with me and DH having a baby and moving homes, I'd have been lost without her! But I'd have to use her ingreients, as I don't have self raising flour, or a weighing scales! I thought it would be nice, but after realising I don't have hardly any ingredients, (and no monies until Friday) is this rude? Lol, sorry this is such a random question!

kylie_bob

Asked by kylie_bob at 10:21 AM on May. 25, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Honey, it's your MOM! And from what you've written she's a great one at that. Think about it, would you care about the ingredients if your baby girl made you a cake? No, you'd love the gesture. And just because you're an adult doesn't mean you're not her baby girl. Go bake your awesome mom a cake, she'll love it. And kudos to you for being a thoughtful daughter.
    Aneya

Answer by Aneya at 11:43 AM on May. 25, 2011

• It would depend on her kitchen. It sounds like she has a well stocked kitchen, although if she's anything like my mom, she made sure she didn't have TOO well of a stocked kitchen before going on vacation. In this case I think it's more the thought that counts.

My mom's kitchen - it would be rude. She doesn't cook much and doesn't keep a ton of ingredients on hand as a result.

My kitchen - I wouldn't miss the small amount necessary for a cake, and it would work out fine.

So long story short... I'd make the cake if she has plenty of the ingredients and you're not using up the last of anything, leaving plenty for her to use when she gets home. The last thing she's going to want after that long of a flight is to have to run to the store for something in order to cook a meal.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:29 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I think she would appreciate it. You may be using her ingredients but you thought about it and made the time to bake it for her. It's the thought that counts. I'd do it! WELCOME HOME MOM
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:30 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Unless you think she will need the ingredients for something special, I would make her the cake. I think she will see the love you put into it as something special. Only you know your mother and how she would react to using her ingredients. If you think it will bother her that much tell her you will replace her stuff when pay day comes around, but you wanted to make her a wonderful homecoming. :)
    AFairyTaleGirl

Answer by AFairyTaleGirl at 10:31 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I would bake it and let her know you can replace the things later if she needs them.
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 10:46 AM on May. 25, 2011

• you could always use a box cake mix... they don't cost much and they taste pretty good
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:26 AM on May. 25, 2011

• do you have ingredients for something other than cake, like cookies? Or brownies? Coookies are pretty easy and cheap to make, you don't need self rise flour or any of that stuff.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:17 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Oh, and self rising flour is just regular flour with the salt and baking powder already added.
    Aneya

Answer by Aneya at 11:45 AM on May. 25, 2011

• If it were me, I wouldn't use my Mom's ingredients. I would wait until pay day and then surprise her with a cake.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 10:25 AM on May. 25, 2011

• She'll probably have already made one herself by then :( I only have plain flour :( I'm so annoyed with myself!
    kylie_bob

Comment by kylie_bob (original poster) at 10:27 AM on May. 25, 2011