What to watch for?

My stepdaughter is 9 and she's obsessed with the subject of puberty (specifically getting her period). I realize she is a very inquisitive child and that some girls start very young (I started when I was 14) so I got the American Girl books on 'The Care and Keeping of You' to help answer some of her questions.

Even so, she calls me into the bathroom regularly to tell me that she 'peed blood' but that she flushed it away. She insists this is a sign that she's getting her period but she's obviously not. Since I never see the blood I usually just tell her to let me know the next time she goes to the bathroom if she sees it and don't flush it down. Usually she forgets about it for a couple of weeks and then does it again. I know she's still too young to really understand how this works (even though they do explain it in children's terms in the book). It's been so long since I had my first period, but I never looked for it, I just started bleeding, called my Mother into the bathroom and took care of it. Are there any warning signs before it happens that I should I be looking for in case it really does come earlier for her? She doesn't carry a purse yet, otherwise I'd send her to school with a pantyliner or something.

not-the-momma

Asked by not-the-momma at 10:30 AM on May. 25, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Well before her period starts, she will have some physical maturity happening, breast development, hair, acne. That starts then about a year later or so after the first signs, she wil get it.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 2:06 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Well she may experience some cramping first. She would probably tell you about it. Also, if she gets her period at school the nurse will be equipped to help her.
    How about the book Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Bloom
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 10:37 AM on May. 25, 2011

• My oldest dd got moody, classic PMS symptoms. She started at 11. BTW it is totally normal for them to do like your step dd is. I remember mine and her friend being basically obsessed with who got their periods and who had not. I used to tell my dd I couldnt believe they talked about such things over lunch. She never understood why I thought it was so gross lol.

Answer by gemgem at 10:51 AM on May. 25, 2011

• She may have light spotting, some girls do start off with light spotting and random bleeding rather than just starting off with a full period. Also A lot of girls don't start out with a red blood period. Most start with a browned period first. It may take up to a year for it to regulate, so don't throw the possibility out the window that she can't have her period yet (she may).
    I think it's best to just show her how to use a pad for now, leave them in an area where she knows to get them, then put them in a special pocket in her backpack just in case. (most nurses carry extra as well). Then leave it to her to use them if they are needed.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:21 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Has she started getting hair under her arms yet? That usually comes about a year before you know what.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 10:41 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I had my first spotting or period or something around age 9 or 10, and nobody believed me because it happened to coincide with when we were learning about it in health education at school. As a parent, now I can see why they brushed it off, but at the time, I was freaked out and thought I was on my own.

I would just talk to her about what to expect when it does happen, and keep a pack of pads in the cupboard at home for "just in case" so she knows that she has something on hand if she does get a period.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:02 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I actually had to have "the talk" with my daughter when she was in the 3rd grade. Mainly because they had 2 little girls start their periods at school in that class. Even though she didn't start until just last November. So by starting slowly with talking about it when I felt that she was ready for more information each time she was well prepaired for it when it did happen. She called me in the bathroom and I got her the pad and talked her through putting it on. She started the same age as me 11. The only thing that excited her about getting her period was the fact that I let her stay home from school that day. Now each time she gets it she says " I hate mother nature". I tell her that I don't know of any woman that "LIKES" having their periods either.
    msmommy123

Answer by msmommy123 at 11:19 AM on May. 25, 2011

• be happy she is open to talking with you about it as well. I know I didn't talk to my mom at all about it, if it wasn't for my grandmother I'd have been clueless. (my mom didn't even know I had a period until I was 14, and I started at 12).

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:23 AM on May. 25, 2011

• My daughter saw a video in elementary school. Wouldn't you know it? A few weeks later, she had her period. If something like this happens at school, the school nurse should be able to assist her. Warning signs? Well, some girls get cramps and some don't, but if I remember my first time I KNEW it. Good luck with this. :)
    AFairyTaleGirl

Answer by AFairyTaleGirl at 11:56 AM on May. 25, 2011