What can I do to help a 5 y/o boy with ADHD focus?

Okk so I have an in home daycare and one of the children I watch has ADHD. He is a really great kid but he is all over the place. His mother doesnt want him on medication so I feel like there must be some other way to help him calm down and focus. He is about to start kindergarten and is VERY behind. Any tips?

micahssupermom

Asked by micahssupermom at 10:36 AM on May. 25, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Does he have anything that he is especially interested in? My son has ADHD but will focus if the topic is interesting. He started to pay attention in reading when he was told he couldn't be a scientist without the ability to read. (His current love is science.) We also do move active learning methods, dances for learning to spell new words. Games that involve a skill set, i.e. blackjack teaches numbers and adding.
    Also positive rewards for doing an undesirable task also help. We give him stickers for doing his homework without whining or getting up. After 4 stickers, he gets to pick a prize from the prize box. (4 due to that is how many days he gets homework in a week.)
    troeltc

Answer by troeltc at 10:49 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Well, it would have to come from his mom but all crap needs to be removed from his diet. What does he like to do? I've seen numerous ADHD kids actually focus for HOURS on tasks/play that they enjoy. He also needs to get a lot of physical exercise daily.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on May. 25, 2011

• In addition to removing bad stuff from his diet, he needs to get a lot of protein to keep his blood sugar stable. Lots of what is diagnosed as inability to focus due to ADHD is actually hypoglycemia.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I was going to say the same thing, get all the crap out of his diet, that meaning, food dyes, preservatives, anything packaged. More protein helps them concentrate better.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 1:17 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I'll second the food dyes! My son is completely intolerant of all red dyes - they are found in food, medicine, finger paint, playdoh, etc.. Some are intolerant of yellows 5 & 6, some of blue, but my son's is ALL red dyes. He acts like a child with ADHD when he has had it - this does not mean that this child doesn't have ADHD - it is a very real problem that must be diagnosed and treated, but for my son it has made all the difference in the world!

If she doesn't want to medicate, then she should be more than willing to take artificial dyes out of his diet to try this to see if it helps! Also, I second the suggestion to find something that interests him, even maybe a few learning videos, my son when he's had red dye, will actually stay still for this, or to have a book red to him, when he can't be still or concentrate on anything else. Good luck! That is VERY trying!!
    Miracle_pg

Answer by Miracle_pg at 4:03 PM on May. 25, 2011

• thanks so much for all the advice I will try everything. I wish I could get his mom to help out but she seems unwilling to alter her lifestyle for her son... sad it has to be that way. I will try the diet thing but i am not sure how well that will work as he only eats one meal a day at my house.
    micahssupermom

Comment by micahssupermom (original poster) at 5:47 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Encourage his mom to give him omega 3 supplements and alter his diet.
    dixiegurl223626

Answer by dixiegurl223626 at 10:23 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Also, try to make learning into a game for him. My son has ADHD and has no interest in math and reading, so I have to make it a game and it makes him really try. Flash cards are fun too. My son loves flash cards.
    dixiegurl223626

Answer by dixiegurl223626 at 10:25 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Try no red dyes
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:04 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Thank you all for the advice but his mother has decided to send him to Texas for the summer. She wont be winning any awards for mother of the year...
    micahssupermom

Comment by micahssupermom (original poster) at 9:20 PM on Jun. 10, 2011