Follow up: Was I wrong? Water and African american hair.

I posted a question last night about the african american girl I let play in the rain, the mother dropped her daughter off this morning (hair all beautiful again) and apologized for being so upset, she just saw the state of her daughter's hair and was just annoyed b/c of all the work it takes to get is straight. She explained to me the work it takes, and just said not to let her play in the rain.

We are all good now, I just never knew that rain was such a big deal for AA hair. I also apolgized for not knowing. So everyone is happy now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on May. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• Sounds like it was pretty petty of the mom to throw a fit in the first place. Glad things worked out for you (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:59 AM on May. 25, 2011

• This reminds me of when I worked in a daycare. I was braiding a little girls hair at the end of the day. The one African American girl in the class asked to go to the bathroom. She came back a couple mins. later with her hair, that had been done the night before, completely wild. She wanted me to do her hair too. I was mortified. And when the mom showed up right after this she was very mad at me and her daughter.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 11:04 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I'm glad to hear the two of you came through this with no hard feelings and a better understanding of what not to do. Nicely done!!
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:08 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I'd be irritated because I would rather see a child be natural and be a child - rather than worry about a hairstyle.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:33 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Wow...a child in daycare should not have that much crap done to her hair. My daughter is almost 3 and still uses baby shampoo. I'm sorry, but I have seen too many black women that are practically bald and I think it has something to do with constantly screwing with their hair from day one.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:50 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I don't know if a agree with the petty, she said it took 2 hours to fix (washing, blow drying and straightening)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:03 AM on May. 25, 2011

• My daughter is biracial and it does take 30- 45 mintues to straighten her hair.
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 11:04 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Washing and blow drying added about an hour and a half for us!
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 11:05 AM on May. 25, 2011

• glad it worked out
    smurfyangel

Answer by smurfyangel at 11:08 AM on May. 25, 2011

• i could def see that, i got to shadow in an aa salon and they go through so much to get their hair looking good, it's a long a tedious process. and they typically do it once a week or get a touch up every week, with a full set twice a month. the girls that don't have a relaxer on their hair have a much harder time to get it to set and stay. it's a very interesting process though.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:30 AM on May. 25, 2011