Question about getting hired

I haven't worked a full-time job in over 18 years or even a part-time job in 7 years, because life circumstances prevented me from doing so, but things have changed & now I can work a full-time job again.

I found a job that I really would like to have, one that I would most likely keep until I retire in 30 years, but I'm not sure I'm qualified for it b/c of my lack of paid work in recent years. During my time off, I did still do volunteer work that was very similar to the job I'm interested in, plus I have personal experience handling the specific types of situations the job entails, just not to the extent/scope I would be doing if I obtained the position.

The ad provided a contact name & number and requested a resume. Would you just send in a resume & hope for the best or would you call first & see if the person would talk to you about the position and give you an interview before sending in a resume (mind you, there isn't much to put on the resume)? I honestly feel that if I could talk to the person, they'd understand that I can do this job, something my resume isn't going to reflect at all.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on May. 25, 2011 in Money & Work

• If they asked for a resume they want to see a resume. I would include a ONE PAGE cover letter with additional info. In my experience to contact the person before submitting anything never works. Good Luck to you.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:05 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Send a resume, you can use your life experience and that volunteer work as work experience. I would follow up soon after sending the resume so that you can try to explain yourself. Good luck mama!!!!!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 11:05 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I would send in your resume and list your volunteer work and skills as well as anything else that might pertain to the job and include anything on the cover letter that you can't on the resume. I would also follow up with a call when you send it in.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:07 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I would do all of the above. Can you take the resume in person? Maybe you could call and get an appt. and hand deliver your resume. Good Luck Mama!!! Many Blessings!!
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 11:27 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Be sure to note in your cover letter the skills not detailed in your resume.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 3:27 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Stay at home moms have lots of skills that employers value! Skills such as time management, logistics, finance, management, etc. Additionally, you probably have done some great volunteer work and may have had part time or even consulting positions while you were home.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:29 PM on May. 26, 2011