What kind of birth control do you use / have you used, and why?

Feel free to be as detailed as you'd like bout your birth control decisions!

Thanks!!
:o)

FelipesMom

Asked by FelipesMom at 11:11 AM on May. 25, 2011 in Health

• I used VCF (vaginal contraceptive film) when I got married and between children. It was non-invasive, didn't kill the mood and didn't involve hormones. I liked that I could insert it and it was effective for a max of 3 hours and a min of 20 minutes (foreplay...) It also wasn't terribly expensive and did not require a prescription. Though it's efficiency was not as high in a clinical setting (94% vs. a condoms 96% or hormonal pill 98%)as other forms it was ok because were were not 'worried' about getting pregnant at the time. It was a situation where we were preventing but it wouldn't be a bad thing if it failed. After my second child we were done having children and decided to have my tubes tied since I was to have a c-section. I chose permanent and 99% effective birth control because I know we could not handle more children and this seemed the best choice to ensure to the best of our ability that pregnancy did not occur
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:41 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Pull out method for us :) Yes, I know it's an accident waiting to happen. Trying to convince the hubby to go get snipped. I can't take an kind of bc pills. I don't tolerate the hormones well at all.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 11:13 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I don't want to be on b/c not to mention that my insurance would not cover it after a few months ($500 a year in prescription coverage). So we have been using condoms for almost 2 1/2 years--and after almost 2 years I realized that I am allergic to latex so Sex has gotten better and more enjoyable in the last few months.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:17 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I never used any birth control. My husband and I know we would take care of any child we concieved. But for now we only have one child.
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 11:18 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I have Mirena right now and am liking it.
    My first ever form of BC (other than condoms) was the Paragard IUD after my first son was born. I wanted it because it was maintenance free and has no hormones and I was breastfeeding. But I think it was placed incorrectly as I sometimes had pain during sex and ended up pregnant.
    After that fiasco I tried Depo. Still low maintenance ( know if I was on a pill I'd be gorgetting every other day). It's not recommendedfor longer than 2 years though becauseit depletes the calcium from your bones. It also messed up my period and I gained weight on it so I stopped using it after 3 shots.
    Finally, after my 2nd son was born I opted for Mirena. It has a low dose of hoemones which was ok while I was breastfeeding. I do have some extra weight but I can't tell you it's from that or quitting smoking or what. All in all, I'm pretty happy with it right now
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 11:19 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I started taking the contraceptivepill in my teens and 20's.  It was the most effective and easiest, plus it had other perks.  After giving birth I took the mini pill because I was breastfeeding but switched to the diaphragm because the mini pill was causing me some problems. 

When I was done having kids, my dh had a vasectomy and then 3 years later I had to have a hysterectomy.  It is so good not having to worry about it anymore.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:21 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I have an IUD...I tried BC pills, many different types but my body couldn't handle them, they made me so sick all the time. After my last baby, the doctor suggested the Mirena IUD and it has been an absolute blessing...no more sickness and my periods are next to none.
    sdks2011

Answer by sdks2011 at 11:22 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Hubs and I used condoms for a short while- we both hated them. I used the pill for many years, and that worked out good for both of us. When I had my 3rd child I had my tubes tied, as hubs and I decided that #3 would complete our family. That was 5 yrs ago, I have not had any problems with the tubal, and given the choice I would do it again.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:38 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Before I had kids I took the pill Trilevlen. It worked great for me. Kept the periods light and the cramps nearly non-existent. After my son I was on the minipill and would forget half the time to take it. My kids are 3.5 years apart and I really don't remember what I took in between them. Trilevlen again, I think. After my daughter was born I started Depo and LOVE it. I've been on it for 4 years now, and DO know about the calcium thing, but since I can drink a gallon of milk in about 2 days my doctor was not concerned. I also like Depo because I don't have a monthly period, something I've always hated with a passion. So, for me, Depo is perfect.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:40 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I've done the pill, mini pill (while breastfeeding), patch and now Mirena. Mirena is the one that I like the best. I didn't like having to remember to do anything for the others. I had trouble remembering to take the pill, even with an alarm set.
    kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 3:04 PM on May. 25, 2011