Do you ever get saddened realizing your kids are getting older?

It is funny because I always thought I wouldn't mind as my kids got older. Even funnier is that they aren't that old. My oldest is 14, middle one is 12 and the baby is 9. I am cleaning the house going through my DD, she is the youngest, clothes and I realized she is no longer a little girl.

I think it is because she is the baby and she was very sick last summer. She was in the hospital, in a coma for 11 days and since then she has become this wonderful young woman. I think the experience aged her and my other children in a way I was not prepared for.

I know it is not a bad thing and I am very lucky to have such wonderful children, I guess I am just being sappy because I'm cleaning out the old clothes and toys.

cornflakegirl3

Asked by cornflakegirl3 at 11:21 AM on May. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• yes :( mine are younger than yours but it's sad to me that my little girl will be starting kindergarten in august and that my baby will be 2! i can't have anymore babies so my ds gets babied alot lol
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:23 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I do sometimes. Then i see the amazing young people that they are becoming. Or have an interesting fairly adult conversation with my 11 or 13 yr old. My baby is 6 and going through a very tough phase at the moment, so I am in the middle of wanting my sweet baby back or have him turn into a cool (hopefully) tween like his brother and sister.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:24 AM on May. 25, 2011

• No, I am excited. I look forward to her eight grade graduation, her prom, and everything in between!
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 11:26 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I have my moments. We were working on a photo album the other day and the waterworks began.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 11:29 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I get sad sometimes, but I am so proud too. Cool question.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 11:30 AM on May. 25, 2011

• YES!!! I think everyone does. My youngest is going to start kindergaten in the fall, my oldest will be in 3rd grade!! I feel like they are growing up SOOOOO fast. Where does the time go???
    I am enjoying seeing them grow up too. They are amazing boys and becoming awesome young men!!! I am so blessed!!
    Thanks for the great question!!
    God Bless!!
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 11:35 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Yep. My DD is 9 yrs and growing into a young lady each day. My son is one week old!
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:36 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Aww hon, I soo understand what you are saying. My oldest will be 18 in september and graduates next year...my youngest just turned 12.  It's not that I miss having little ones, because I REALLY don't.  But my babies aren't babies anymore, it goes by soo fast.

Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:40 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Sometimes I do. My 'baby' is 5, he just lost his 1st tooth. And that got me thinking to all the milestones he has yet to do-- like start Kindergarten in the fall.... and I realize he is not a baby any more. (he is the last, no more babies). So when I think of all that I do get a bit sad. My older 2 are 14 and 12, and I accepted their growing up and loosing 1st tooth, starting kindergarten a lot easier. They grow up so fast!!
    Well the good times go by way too fast, and the naughty stages seem to stay around way too long!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:55 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I do it too, my oldest is 16 and will be 17 in August. He's already getting information on colleges and starting to prepare for his Senior graduation and next steps (he'll only be a junior next year). It makes me sad every time I see one of those damn fliers for another college in the mail. I hate the thought of him leaving home, and the time goes so fast it will be here before I know it.

My baby is 13 and already trying to exert his independance, and this is scary for me; with one soon to leave and the next one wanting more time with friends (my oldest wasn't like that)...I'm sad I'm loosing them both.

More times than not I'm proud of them, and look forward to their futures with them...but it still hurts sometimes to know they will be going out into the world.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 12:00 PM on May. 25, 2011