Does anyone on here know anything about Buddhism?

It seems somewhat interesting to me but I would like to know more about it. I have been just about every religion under the sun already but as I got older none of them fit the way they used to. Just wondering if this one is a better fit for me.

lisalmeyer86

Asked by lisalmeyer86 at 11:38 AM on May. 25, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I know about it, Buddhism is wonderful, in my opinion. You can learn more about it by looking around on the Buddhanet website. The Buddhism for Dummies book is a pretty introduction so is The Heart of the Buddha's teaching by Thich Nhat Hanh (I like everything I have read by him actually, lol).

If you have any questions I will try to answer them the best I can :-)

StrawberryLane

Answer by StrawberryLane at 12:45 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Thanks for the sources! I wasn't really even sure where to look. =)
    lisalmeyer86

Comment by lisalmeyer86 (original poster) at 1:13 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Bumped ya - I know nothing about it ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 3:45 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Oh well, thanks for the bump though. =)
    lisalmeyer86

Comment by lisalmeyer86 (original poster) at 3:50 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Which branches of Buddhism are you interested in? For basics read up on "The Four Noble Truths" and the "Eightfold Path".Anything written by the Dalai Lama (and any of his speeches..etc) are always enlightening and interesting. There are many forms of Buddhism: Tibetan,Zen, Shingon, etc.However most share the same basics principles such as : karma, reincarnation, suffering is caused by man himself,etc.Buddhism actually originated from Hinduism. Siddartha "the Buddha" was an Indian prince who was born/raised in a Hindu family/culture. When he finally was exposed to the suffering of man (remember Prince/palace never mingled with the common folk..lol) he personally rejected many of Hinduism's base teaching mainly the caste system and he set off on a path to find out why people suffer.His path led him to "enlightenment" and the realization that our suffering is caused by ourselves/our desires/our greed.etc & He became the Buddha.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:10 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Wow thanks for the info, I didn't even know there were branches of Buddhism. Thanks for giving me a place to start. =) The more I learn the more I like it.
    lisalmeyer86

Comment by lisalmeyer86 (original poster) at 4:18 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I wanted share this, and I hope she doesn't mind (since she is pretty awesome she most likely won't..lol I hope anyway...lol)..

Pam19 knows an **amazing** amount when it comes to Buddhism. She really really knows her stuff in that area. She usually pops in & out of this section when she's on CM.. If you "bump" into her, she would be one (that I can think of right off the top of my head at this moment) that I would recommend for asking questions about Buddhism.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:32 PM on May. 25, 2011

• There are a lot of good, introductory books out there that explain the basic concepts of Buddhism... Thich Nhat Hahn has an introductory book called The Heart of the Buddha's Teachings and Lama Surya Das has a good one called Awakening the Buddha Within. Pema Chodron is another Buddhist writer I enjoy, and the Dalai Lama has a variety of texts out there as well that are good.
    The core concepts of Buddhism are the Four Noble Truths (That life is inherently dissatisfactory, that the cause of this is our own clinging/desire, that there is a way to reduce and end this suffering, and that this way is the Noble Eightfold Path.) The Noble Eightfold Path is an outline of Buddhist practice, focusing on wisdom, self-discipline, and ethics. Buddhism is more of a practice than a belief- something you live rather than something you believe. HTH a bit- good luck on your search!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 5:50 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Thanks, Pixie! :-)

OP--there are many great books and websites out there. I see that a few I would recommend have already been recommended by others. I love everything I've read from Thich Nhat Hanh, especially The Heart of the Buddha's Teachings and Living Buddha, Living Christ. I would also recommend reading books by the Dalai Lama and Pema Chodron. There are many versions of the Dhammapada, which is a collection of the Buddha's sayings, and I would recommend reading those as well. Buddhanet mentioned above is a great source, and I often share this 5 Minute Introduction to Buddhism from their website for anyone who wants to get the basics. There is a Buddhist moms group here on CM that has some introductory material available to everyone, if you want to read some of the basics there as well.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 6:14 PM on May. 25, 2011

• From a practical perspective, I have found a couple books written by Buddhists moms about motherhood helpful as well. Sometimes it's hard to think about how to apply these ideas to our own lives, and these books were very helpful to me as a new mom.

Buddha Mom by Jacqueline Kramer

Momma Zen: Walking the Crooked Path of Motherhood by Karen Maezen Miller

I'm short on time right now, but if I think of anything else I'd recommend, I'll add it later. I would definitely recommend reading up on the basics from any of those recommended authors. Even if you decide it's not a good fit in some respects I know many people who find some practical wisdom within Buddhist philosophy to apply to their own lives even when they practice other religions, so hopefully it will benefit you in some ways. Good luck in your search! :-)
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 6:19 PM on May. 25, 2011