How would you deal?

We live in a not so great neighborhood. Our son who is 5 has a very nice Tony Hawk bike. Last Saturday, he was out riding with the other little kids on the block. DH and I were sitting out on our porch. I ran to the Farmers market with my girls and left DH and son home. DH went in the house with our son to pour him a drink, leaving the bike on our front porch/inside door open and when they came back 1 minute later the bike was gone. DH and my son did not notice the bike was gone, as they were busy doing other things in the yard. I came home and about an hour later asked my son where his bike was...we always put it in the house when we leave or for the night. He began to look around...nothing. We began a neighborhood search on foot. DH got in the truck to search. He found the bike(it is neon green) a block away behind a fence leaning on the side of a house. At this point I would have called 911 and had an officer come. My DH walked in the gate, past the woman who was sitting on her porch, took the bike put it back in the truck and came home. The mother on the porch gave my DH a dirty look!!! He said nothing and came home. I was sooooooooo happy to have the bike back, but I was LIVID that DH didn't call the police! That was a crime, and needed to be reported! What do you think?

salexander

Asked by salexander at 11:43 AM on May. 25, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I would have reported it to. I can't stand theives.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:45 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I say let it go. You have the bike back and that's most important. Calling the police may have turned this into a bigger mess and, if your neighborhood isn't so great, I would worry about retaliation for involving the cops.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 12:56 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Plus the woman could always claim your son left it there, they didn't steal it, since nobody saw it being taken.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 12:57 PM on May. 25, 2011