Does anyone else have a "lazy" child?

DS will brush his teeth with his arm on the counter (yeah, the arm he's brushing with), bring his face down to the table where the napkin is so he doesn't have to lift the napkin while eating, wash his hair with his elbows on his knees (we gotta keep an eye on him because he lied about batheing himself when we left him to do it alone), "pretend" to make his bed by straightening only the top blanket rather than doing the ones underneath, etc.

Is this typical for a 7yo boy or is this extreme laziness? Trust me, if I see it it gets corrected, but of course, he still tries to get away with it. Is this a phase he'll just outgrow? Should I be saying something else? *sigh*

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on May. 25, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My daugher does a lot of those things. I nag at her about everything from washing her face and brushing her teeth to finishing chores - somehow she never can "remember" to but a trash bag back in the can after taking the trash out or put away the clean dishes when unloading the dishwasher instead of leaving them all over the counter or reload the dishwasher with the dirty dishes or even give the cat water when she feeds him. I don't know if it's laziness or pig-headedness but it drives me crazy.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:49 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I wouldn't say lazy because it seems his methods actually expend more energy than if he were to do them normall/properly. Is it more along the lines of defiance in a passive-aggressive way? My kids never did the types of things you described so I'm not sure what it could be.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I thought you were describing MY 7 year old. Just this morning he was told to take a shower. As I was brushing his hair I saw TONS of sand still in his hair. yeah, I was pissed.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:12 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I am soooo glad to hear that this is somewhat normal! I have been worried that my dd (7) is going to be an unproductive person her entire life! Getting her to brush her teethe, shower, clean up, blow her nose, hang up a coat... ANYTHING is like pulling teethe. I feel like I am on her case all the time! I hate it!
    mlivlee

Answer by mlivlee at 12:20 PM on May. 25, 2011

• My son is pretty lazy too. Hopefully its just a phase.
    dixiegurl223626

Answer by dixiegurl223626 at 10:21 AM on May. 26, 2011

• My 13 year old DS is very lazy! It drives me nuts!
    KamiB79

Answer by KamiB79 at 12:36 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I think its that age. Talk to him and explain to him why doing things the right way is the better way to go, so you don't have to waste the time redoing whatever it is you were lazy on.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:03 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Its normal and just a phase
    aj23

Answer by aj23 at 11:32 PM on Jun. 14, 2011