Suggestions for car/small SUV?

I am looking into buying a new vehicle. I currently drive a Dodge Caliber, and would like something just a little bit bigger. We're having a second baby and need a little more room. I'm not a fan of large SUVs or minivans (I have a terrible time driving, parking, etc. larger vehicles). Something around the size of a Ford Escape would be about perfect. Hoping for something with pretty good gas mileage, and budget between $14,000-$20,000.

Suggestions, please! :-)

FatGirl239

Asked by FatGirl239 at 11:49 AM on May. 25, 2011 in Travel

• FatGirl239

Comment by FatGirl239 (original poster) at 11:50 AM on May. 25, 2011

• We bought a Hyundai Tucson last year... it fits all the criteria you have listed her. It's a great smaller SUV type car!!! My DH did a lot of research and was very comfortable buying a Hyundai, especially b/c of the 10 year warranty!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:52 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I've heard good things about the Escape. One of the kids' teachers has one and loves it. It is a gorgeous blue, too.

Two of my friends have RAV 4s and love them. Another has a Highlander, but hers is a hybrid and hugely expensive.

One way we kept costs down a little was to use a broker instead of the dealership itself. We told him what we wanted, he searched for it, and even delivered it to the house and took our other car in trade (it wasn't worth much.) And it was about $5K less than the dealership.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:53 AM on May. 25, 2011

• I have a KIA Sorrento and it's a perfect, smaller type SUV. Very affordable, very reliable (had it 7 years with no problems whatsoever), very good on gas, and my particular model had one of the highest safety ratings of all the cars out there at the time.
    Anonymous

• I personally don't like the Escape. My parents have one that I have driven quite a few times and I just don't feel comfortable in it.

I'll look into the other suggestions from both of you, though!
    FatGirl239

Comment by FatGirl239 (original poster) at 12:01 PM on May. 25, 2011

• We have friends who like their Escape and another friend who likes the Sorrento.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 12:09 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Guess I'm no help because I drive an Escape and love it. Double no help because I love bigger SUVs. I would've gotten something bigger, but DH wouldn't agree to it. I'll bump you, though.
    kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 2:53 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I have a 99 Honda CR-V. I love it. I have no clue what the newer ones are like.
    A co worker just got a Toyota Venza and she LOVES it!

Hondas are the best at resale too
    MrsDAP

Answer by MrsDAP at 3:02 PM on May. 25, 2011