How can I get a job as a receptionist..?

What do I have to do to become a receptionist...? I use to work in a dermatologist and mostly did filing. My communication sills are not really great but I would like to get better and maybe just settle for a receptionist job. I wanted to go to school for Graphic Design cause I like all that stuff a lot and photography but I'm not sure when it comes to school. Was wondering if any of you moms out there are receptionist...? How much do you guys earn...? Will really appreciate the help. I live in San Diego, CA. What would I have to do to get a job as a receptionist...? Any good schools here in San Diego or online that I can go to...? I would like to do it online, I don't know if that's possible.

Need to vent a bit, please help me. After 6 years of being married and just being a stay at home mom, having too much problems in marriage. I'm upset cause I don't want to get divorced, I don't want to feel like I'm leaving my kids behind, I would like to be their dad but he says and acts in ways that hurt me and I just don't feel like I could really depend on him a lot no more like it should be and feel of feeling and being safe and protected by him. He throws everything in my face and it's just sad and i'm tired of it. I'm trying to push myself to do better and do something for myself and my kids and OI hope to be more independent and not worry too much about a man. He really doesn't appreciate me as a house wife but I just wish to do this for once for myself. There's just so much I feel and I feel desperate and scared of being alone. I'm so used to of him going everywhere with me and me being at home feeling safe that when I go out by myself I feel scared like something bad is going to happen. I feel scared of being in the streets, like if I would've been captured for years, as silly as it sounds I just feel that way, and I don't know what to do, I just want to do things on my own and better myself and for my kids and I just wish my husband wouldn't be so unfair with me in some ways. I always tell him everything I feel but he just doesn't want to understand me. I'll just leave it there cause it's just too much and long. I just ask please if you moms can please help me, give me advice or some information please. I will really appreciate the help.

Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Money & Work

• Can you answer a phone and jot down messages? If so, you are qualified.
    Anonymous

• I worked as a receptionist in both a dental office and a mental health center. Some of the job duties were- setting appointments, collecting money, answering the phone on multiple line system and using voicemail, faxing documents, dealing with people, scheduling meetings, taking notes, typing up notes, filing, filling out claim forms, calling insurance companies, taking dictation, transcribing notes, making files, filing files, sending people to collections, making collections calls, good computer skills, good typing speed plus accuracy, answering questions (about treatment or dds procedure), good communication skills......
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:12 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Because you've worked doing filing in a dermatologist's office, you do have some experience. I suggest that you go sign up with a temp agency in your area. You can get your foot in the door and see if this is something you might like to do. You'll also meet people and make contacts. Be wary of those certificate programs. They can get expensive and may not help you get a job. When you apply at a place like a temp agency, they'll help you with your resume and may be able to give you some good tips for enhancing your skill set. I wish you luck!
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 12:37 PM on May. 25, 2011

• By applying ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 3:27 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Honey, you are a victim of abuse. Please contact the National Domestic Violence Hotline: 800-799-SAFE (7233)

Answer by rkoloms at 6:31 PM on May. 26, 2011