Do you ever wonder?

That with all the tornados & storms & rain, earthquakes & floods if maybe this is the begining of the end? I know at this time every year we get all of this but it seems like it is getting more extreme then ever.There have already been 1000 tornados in April and more then that in Mya so far & they just keep coming.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Nope. Severe weather patterns are cyclical. Some years are good, some are devastating.

1816 was called the Year of No Summer around the world due to volcanic activity.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:09 PM on May. 25, 2011

• No, I don't. These things have been happening for as long as the earth has been around. We just hear more about it with the media and all. And even if it is worse one season than in others, it's not God or some force behind it, it's just the way the world works. These weather systems just result in storms and tornadoes every now and then. That doesn't change that the weather systems are important, that rain and so forth is important. It just means that sometimes those systems, because of other variables, result in tragic, yet completely natural, events. Understanding how tornadoes and weather, etc, work helps...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:11 PM on May. 25, 2011

• The Earth's weather patterns are cyclic. Which, if you looked back even 70 years, you would clearly see. Factor in the negative effect that man has had on it's environment and you can certainly expect alterations and extremes of what would be considered the "norm". Even taking that into account, what we're experiencing is well within the nor of even the past 20 years storm cycles.

*EVERY YEAR* people flip their lids and predict that inclement weather is the beginning of the end... I'm so tired of hearing it.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:27 PM on May. 25, 2011

• No. I do wonder why anyone who graduated from public school wonders about it, since things like the basic rules of weather are covered as early as 5th grade.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:41 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I think it's the beginning of the weather-related issues we're going to have to expect with global climate change.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 12:08 PM on May. 25, 2011

• The thought has crossed my mind, but then I realize that this really is nothing new. We are just so "connected" these days with the internet and cell phones and everything, we hear instantly about disasters we never would have known about if they happened decades ago.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 12:47 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Nope. I think that it's a government conspiracy to eliminate conservatives from being in a position to vote ... just kidding :P
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 2:16 PM on May. 25, 2011

• as someone who lives in central Oklahoma...the tornadoes are nothing new. whats different about this year is that they hit unsuspecting towns instead of empty plains. while its extremely sad whenever someone is injured or killed, it happens every year. and as far as Oklahoma goes this years been pretty calm tornado/storm wise (so far, knock on wood!). 200 years ago no one lived in these areas in such large numbers...how would we even know if the tornadoes/storms/floods were less severe or happened less often?

the Mississippi floods in patterns. i remember it flooding like crazy back in the 90s. earthquakes happen whenever the Earth needs to let off steam (so to speak)...its nothing new.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:24 PM on May. 25, 2011

• It happens. The weather guys say this is what is to be expected.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 12:05 PM on May. 25, 2011

• No, and if it was, wouldn't it be a slap in the face for the traditionally religious center of the country? I live in Sin City and our weather has been beautiful. Are we just a lost cause? It's horrible, but these weather patterns are nothing new. I feel terrible for the people affected by them, though.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:28 PM on May. 25, 2011