What is the best breast pump to buy?

DawsonGia0611

Asked by DawsonGia0611 at 12:04 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You are much better off renting one from the hospital ... they work SO much better than any of the store ones.
    Anonymous

• If you plan on having more kids, spend a few hundred bucks on a good pump. I got the Aveda Purely Yours Ultra which is only one step down from hospital grade. For how often I've had to use it... (compared to the prices of formula) it's already paid for itself!
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 12:31 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Depends on your need. SAHM? Avent Isis is great for the occasional bottle. Working? Medela "Style" models or Ameda PurelyY ours (Aveda is a skin care line).

Answer by gdiamante at 12:45 PM on May. 25, 2011

• What will you be using it for? It makes a big difference.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:49 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I agree it totally depends on what your looking for - if you plan to do anything more than the occasional pumping, like if you're going back to work or have a toddler around the house, you'll want a good quality double electric breast pump. Medela is the most popular one, and I personally loved it (I was an EP mom for 7+ months with it).

You get what you pay for in the breast pump realm. You can rent a hospital grade on, usually they're around $40/mo. You can now use your HSA account to buy all your pumping supplies - so at least you get them tax free :-).
    handsfreemom

Answer by handsfreemom at 2:12 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Depends on how much you think you will use it.
    If you plan to only pump I would get a hospital pump
    If you are going to be returning to work a high quality pump like the medela would be the way to go
    If you plan to only pump on a rare occasion then a hand pump would work fine

I personally would go with Medela... it's a great brand.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:46 PM on May. 25, 2011

• If I were you, I would go ahead and invest in a really good pump. With my second (who is 8.5 months), I had planned to breastfeed him, but some things happened, and I didn't get to for very long. I was thankful after that that my DH had convinced me to spend the money on a Medela. I had only gotten the Medela Swing and it the long run, it was quite as strong as I needed it to be. By the time that I was done, I wished that I had gone for one that was a little bit stronger. I've heard nothing but good things about the Medela Pump In Style.
    kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 4:09 PM on May. 25, 2011