IBS: do you take laxatives for constipation?

I have chronic constipation no matter what I eat. I also have a ridiculous amount of gas if I am constipated after a couple days. I need help going, If you know what I mean an I'm tired of waiting for days. When I finally start to pass my bowel it's a very small amount at a time and will take days for it to all pass. I know this is gross but I want to know what you do. I'm thinking of taking a laxative just to help. My stomach hurts from my body not being able to relieve itself and gas is building up. I've never taken a laxative but want to try, any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Laxatives are harsh and damaging to your system. Take magnesium oxide nightly before bed (on an empty stomach) and things will start "moving" quickly. Also, to avoid further constipation, make sure you're getting magnesium in your diet regularly; this is the biggest cause of constipation.
    Anonymous

• Try a stool softener like colace-- it isn't a laxative and may help regulate everything. That and miralax.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 12:13 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Yeah my ob told me to take colace for constipation but not to take laxatives because they make you go the bathroom but stool softeners just make it easier to go.
    Vivian0331

Answer by Vivian0331 at 12:17 PM on May. 25, 2011

• i don't suffere from IBS, but i found this out by accident. the best laxative you can buy for the money is honey. it doesn't give the 'runs' like ordinary laxatives do. plus, the added benefit it keep you regular. maybe the next time you see your doctor you could ask him about using honey. i do hope this helps.
    natD1960

Answer by natD1960 at 12:19 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I have to take iron pills and it constipates me often. I take colace (2 in the morning and 2 at night) I also eat a diet higher in fiber... FiberOne chewy bars are quite good. OR if you eat cereal, buy the original FiberOne cereal and add 1/2Cup to your regular bown and it gives you more than half the fiber you need daily and it doesn't really change the taste of your cereal... adds a little more crunch, which to me, is a good thing.

Also, if you take laxatives regularly your body can become dependent on them meaning in order to EVER poop you NEED laxatives..
    Check this out
    http://www.quickcare.org/gast/constipation.html
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 12:19 PM on May. 25, 2011

• i have ibs also but do not get constipated i have the opposite problem. But my gastro-enterologist said if i do i should take something like colace. you should talk to your doctor and he may have you take them on a regualr basis. good luck....ibs sucks!
    newlife627

Answer by newlife627 at 12:22 PM on May. 25, 2011