How do I get my son out of bed to go to school?

dsrivera

Asked by dsrivera at 12:14 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• A squirt bottle with cold water always worked on my teen boys.

Answer by gemgem at 12:15 PM on May. 25, 2011

• haha gemgem.. I was gonna say the same thing.. It works great.. They will be mad at first but they will get up..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 12:18 PM on May. 25, 2011

• LOL, I was going to say to dump cold water on their heads lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:20 PM on May. 25, 2011

• same as gemgem - works great but be prepared to have them yell at you!
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 12:20 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I have 2 alarm clocks and they are set where he has to get out of bed to shut them off. Have one go off 15 minutes after the other. I have let my teen oversleep and RUN to school. He has to learn to get his own butt out of bed just like the rest of us. You can also have his cell phone set on vibrate and place it under his pillow. I have also adjusted his bed time earlier and earlier telling him that he obviously needs more sleep and has to adjust his bed time schedule accordingly. He got the point after going to bed at 9pm (15 years old) and has no problem getting up anymore. He now begins heading for bed at 9:30 and there by 10. No texting etc. after 10pm. on week days (12 on weekends) or grounded from phone for 1 week.
    RaisnKids

Answer by RaisnKids at 12:23 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I really like the above answers, but if I were to squirt my child with water, he'd act as if he'd been stung by a bee! The key here is to be sure they get enough sleep. Schedules must be made and kept. Children thrive on them, and need to know what to expect. If this doen't work, then take away something very important. Stick to your guns and do not give in or you will find you both in Family Court, which is good for no family!
    3nRobinsnest

Answer by 3nRobinsnest at 12:28 PM on May. 25, 2011

• After 13 I was expected to get myself to bed and up on time. If I missed the bus I had to figure out how to get to school on my own. It was a good lesson in responsibility at an early age. You have to figure out what will work best in your house.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:51 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Um, go in the room, grab the CHILD out of their bed, dress them, tell them to eat or starve and then march their unhappy butt to the car, buckle them in and take them to school. How did your CHILD learn that going to school MAY be an option?????
    Anonymous

• Have him set his own alarm. I started doing this with my 13 year old. If he fails to do this, when he wants to do something on Friday or the weekend. I tell him no, learn to set your alarm. So, now I have a responsible boy, maybe not always respectful. Still working on that.
    cmiranda6

Answer by cmiranda6 at 2:09 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Squirt bottle with cold water, yank the covers off the bed, hide LOUD alarm clocks in the room, Tilt the mattress up and out of the bed frame. It is our responsibility as parents to make sure our children get up and to school on time while they are still in high school.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:33 PM on May. 25, 2011